Olympia Maximatic 1990 - partially working

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Chrikelnel

#1: Post by Chrikelnel »

Got super lucky with FB Marketplace yesterday, a 1990 Olympia Maximatic for $100. The seller said it had been sitting in a garage for a couple of years so I was prepared for the worst, but fortunately it turns on and gets up to steam. No water is coming out of the grouphead, but the pump runs. From a search it looks like I might need to prime the pump, maybe with a turkey baster? I'll keep reading and see if I can figure it out. This is my first repair/restoration so it might take some figuring out, but I want to do this myself. I did have a question though, when I take the reservoir outside of the machine and fill it, water drips through the connector point at the bottom. Is that supposed to happen? Also, there's some (I believe) rust on the piece of metal that separates the reservoir from the internals, is that ok? Thank you all for any advice you may have.

Chrikelnel (original poster)

#2: Post by Chrikelnel (original poster) »

Is it worth buying the OE rebuild kit just because?

Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

Got super lucky with FB Marketplace yesterday, a 1990 Olympia Maximatic for $100. ...
I heartily agree. Great little machines.
I did have a question though, when I take the reservoir outside of the machine and fill it, water drips through the connector point at the bottom. Is that supposed to happen? Also, there's some (I believe) rust on the piece of metal that separates the reservoir from the internals, is that ok? Thank you all for any advice you may have.
I've enjoyed and sold or traded two of those machines. I believe there is a seal that holds water from leaking out when the reservoir is seated. But there is no valve at that point in the hydraulics, so yes water would drain if the reservoir were removed from the machine.

Also I think you could remove debris and the fitting where the reservoir sits, being brass would not contribute rust to the flow of water into the HX.

Best of luck on getting it making espresso. It will do a good job of that.
LMWDP #198

#4: Post by Chrikelnel (original poster) »

Chert wrote: I've enjoyed and sold or traded two of those machines. I believe there is a seal that holds water from leaking out when the reservoir is seated. But there is no valve at that point in the hydraulics, so yes water would drain if the reservoir were removed from the machine.
Thanks for your reply! I soaked the bottom of the tank in a vinegar mix which removed some scale and the tank isn't leaking now, my guess is scale was stopping the ball from fitting nicely.

After a lot of poking and prodding I've convinced some water to come out of the grouphead, but the flow rate seems very low and if I let the machine heat up it's just steam coming out of the grouphead. Is this likely a pump issue?

bgnome

#5: Post by bgnome »

Given that you had a scale issue in the tank, there is likely scale in the lines.

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

You can prove how well the little Ulka or FoT pump works by running it disconnected from the HX. This will prove that the more downstream hydraulics are the issue like bgnome has stated.

Keep pluggin (well unplugging? you know what I mean) away
LMWDP #198

#7: Post by Chrikelnel (original poster) » replying to Chert »

I disconnected it from the HX but now when I try to run it I'm getting no water through the pump, like it was when I first turned it on. Does this indicate the pump is to blame?

Chert

#8: Post by Chert »

Reservoi delivering water, you trigger the pump connected and some water flows but from the outflow when disconnected, no movement?

That's puzzling
LMWDP #198

#9: Post by Chrikelnel (original poster) »

My current theory is it's something with the pump, seems like the flow isn't high enough when it's working and I'm constantly having to prime it. Going to take it out and see if I can clean it but if not new ones are cheap enough.

#10: Post by Chrikelnel (original poster) »

So I have the original fluid-o-tech 1106 in there right now, looking at a replacement 1106 it looks like they've added a piece that sticks out (I circled it in the picture below) while mine just has a straight line, does anyone know if I can just drop in a new one or does it require some fiddling to make work?