Olympia Cremina cover repaint in cars bodyshop- UPDATE

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
nirdvorai
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by nirdvorai »

From time to time I see online Cremina that the cover of the machine was repainted in cars body shop.
If someone here done this before, I would like to read his/her impression on that matter.

I would like to know if the process helped remove small rust on the corners and small dents?
What did you do with the Olympia emblem?
Did you give the shop some special instruction?

And all in all- do you think its worth it? and if someone would like to share the cost that would be awesome.

Thanks.

shawndo

#2: Post by shawndo »

The badge is stuck on there with double sided tape. You can remove with dental floss and replace it with new tape.

Instead of painting a number of folks on the forum have used 3m automotive vinyl. It looks surprisingly good.

Checkout the following threads:
Vinyl Wrap an Olympia Cremina
Olympia Cremina "Restoration"...totally reversible

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

I took mine to a body shop and asked them to prep for powder coating. I don't remember whether they eliminated the rust. They put bondo on the case and sanded it, so the surface looked smooth. I didn't know if that would work for powder coating, so I removed it to have it powder coated. So, I have a few minor dents. If they were to repaint it also, the bondo would be a non-issue.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

nirdvorai (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

What do you know.. I would never imagine to use vinyl tape on the Cremina. Thanks shawndo! Your red Cremina looks awesome.
One thing I worried about is the corners, and the ability to do the job right. I mean to give the machine the professional and clean look in the corners, and not leave some edges that would drive me nuts..

But on the other hand it's totally irreversible, so for sure I will give it a try.

I want to try the white. I hope the original brown will not be showing from below.

drgary- thanks for you input. If the vinyl wouldn't work for me, I guess I will take it to the bodyshop for the full treatment- bondo, sand and repaint.

Did you repainted it yourself in powder coating? Or took it to a different shop?

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

I sent mine for powdercoating. Results were not great in that case but good enough.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

I ordered the vinyl sheet. Boy, how many colors, one can turn the Cremina to really cool machine.

shawndo- did you cut the vinyl for each side of the cover? Or did you glue it in one piece?

shawndo

#7: Post by shawndo »

just one piece and folded. You might need to try it twice. first one to get the hang of it, then the second to do it right!
Unless you aren't bothered by imperfect corners. Luckily they send you more than enough vinyl to do it even with the smallest order if I remember.

PS the other thread shows more photos, which is basically what i did.
PPS it brought back memories of wrapping up text books back in school. if you had to do that, this is the same thing.

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) replying to shawndo »

Yes.. I did wrap my books.. this is way I'm most worried about the corners.

I will update here. (if it will looks worthy :P )

shawndo

#9: Post by shawndo »

If you are unsure what color to get they have a sample thingy.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018PLCEKY/re ... PDbYB31AKK
I ended up choosing gloss hot rod red.

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by nirdvorai (original poster) »

I ordered the orange matte to keep with the 80's look.