Older Breville BES900XL espresso machine repair

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Mike11

#1: Post by Mike11 »

Hello. I'm new to this site and have a question regarding finding Service/Repair for my Breville BES900XL machine. I received the machine about 6 or 7 years ago. It has always worked well and I love it. Recently it has developed an issue with the solenoid/pump. When the start button is pushed it buzzes loudly before starting to pump and the pressure is low during the extraction. I also have a cracked pressure gauge that needs replacing.

I am somewhat handy but this repair is a little out of my ability. I have tried contacting Breville for service but it appears their $350 Fix or Swap deal is no longer available. They only offered selling me a new machine with a discount. Can anyone offer a suggestion as to where I can have this machine repaired?

BaristaBob

#2: Post by BaristaBob »

That buzz is most likely your solenoid. It is an easy repair. There are some excellent YouTube videos on performing this repair. Trust me, if you can replace a light bulb, you can do this. Now pump replacement...that's still doable, but a little more involved. Start with the solenoid, they can even fail earlier than 6-7 years. You must be using low hardness water for it to last that long. There is some great info on this site, just use the search to find it.

Remember, you can do this. However, if you are totally uncomfortable with this job, there are shops called uBreakiFix shops that will probably perform the task. You will need to purchase the solenoid for them.

Best to you.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Mike11 (original poster)

#3: Post by Mike11 (original poster) »

Thanks BaristaBob! With your encouragement, I think I will give it a try. Can you offer any info on finding parts?

luvmy40

#4: Post by luvmy40 replying to Mike11 »

BaristaBob

#5: Post by BaristaBob »

Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

Mike11 (original poster)

#6: Post by Mike11 (original poster) »

Thanks all for the help.