Nuova Simonelli Oscar Pro - No steam

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
aschremmer

#1: Post by aschremmer »

Nuova Simonelli Oscar Professional 2010. Direct connection.

1. Changed heating element a couple of years ago and 3 way solenoid (coffee delivery electrovalve) last year. Everything has worked fine afterwards.

2. A few days ago, turned Oscar on, heard a fairly loud ping, as if something under tension had broken and the steam never came. Pump is working, Hot water but it takes time to warm up and does not get very hot.

3. Changed sirai pressure stat just in case. Nothing. 0 ohms across the two wires so it seems the circuit is closed.

4. 2 way solenoid valve (water level) 0 ohms across the two wires so it seems the circuit is closed. Applying 110V produces the expected clunk. So, it seems to work.

5. Now what?

Hopeful regards
--schremmer

pebble

#2: Post by pebble »

What is the reading of the 3 way solenoid?

plindy

#3: Post by plindy »

see #9
1 way steam valve stuck closed ?

aschremmer (original poster)

#4: Post by aschremmer (original poster) »

@pebble 3 way solenoid is open (reading = ∞)

@plindy looking at the OSCARpro - Parts Breakdown, I do not see what you mean by "1-way steam valve"

6. This time, I left Oscar to simmer for half an hour. The water is sort of hot but I can put my finger in it. No steam. Also, the light for the resistance (aka element lamp) stays on non-stop.

--schremmer

plindy

#5: Post by plindy »

my mistake , thinking of the 1st generation oscars

thermo protector failing ?
the inline resister for the heating element
or the element itself

pebble

#6: Post by pebble »

I guess its time to check the element. Think about it... powers on, tries to heat as boiling light is on but fails to boil to create stem, (there is no reset switch is there??) also you have not mention about the water from the brew head. Draw some into a cup and test the temp.I had a loud pop awhile ago and it tripped the fuse. It had be rewired badly at some point and as i had been working on it water had got onto the line and bang, still works though. Test the element

pebble

#7: Post by pebble »

So how goes it aschremmer??