Nuova Simonelli Oscar- add adjustable OPV

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Gionnibello

#1: Post by Gionnibello »

Dear coffee passionate,

I have an HX Nuova Simonelli Oscar 1 and I would like to add an adjustable OPV. As you might know, the little vibe pump for this machines delivers quite too much pressure for a proper espresso.
I know I could buy an OPV for this at Elektros.it but the idea of spending more for delivery than the actual piece puts me off a little. Additionally right now it's not available at the store.
So I decided to ask your support. Did anyone managed to install a different OPV on this machine (rather than the official one)? I was wondering if an OPV from a Gaggia classic would work or a Rancilio Silvia since they use the same pump, or any other you know of. Any idea?
Also, would you know anywhere in USA or Amazon I could buy the parts for the OPV?

I really love all the upgrades and modifications you guys are able to do on your machines. Keep it up.

Thank you all for you input.
My mum craved espresso while expecting me ... it’s in my genes!!!

civ

#2: Post by civ »

Hello:
Gionnibello wrote: ... Nuova Simonelli Oscar
... add an adjustable OPV.
... an OPV from a Gaggia classic would work or a Rancilio Silvia ...
I think any adjustable OVP will do as long as it fits in the box.
The thing is to set it properly once installed.

One from a Gaggia classic or Rancilio Silvia should do perfectly well.
Maybe you can get a new/used one locally?
Gionnibello wrote: ... know anywhere in USA or Amazon ...
HB has many sponsors you could ask.
Check with Stefano's Espresso Care in Oregon, Chris Coffee in NY or any of the others.

Cheers,

CIV

Advertisement
JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

If your time and your life are worth less than the $30 or whatever shipping is, then by all means, yes. Anything's possible and you could mount the Silvia OPV vertically on the new threads you've tapped into your Oscar's perfectly good boiler. Even worse, you could drill 2 flange holes into the boiler on either side of a polished port where you'll mount the Gaggia OPV. It'll take a lot of time, and possibly some skilled machining, the machine will be valueless with a modification like this, but anything's possible. To be honest, the Silvia OPV's actually a good valve, it's an improvement in some ways, but the holes you'd have to cut in the bodywork might make it a bad idea.

That said... Is there no chance of cleaning your Oscar's OPV, maybe replacing the valve-face and reinstalling it? Cutting a new valveface has got to be easier than frankensteining a whole machine to make parts from something else fit.

Gionnibello (original poster)

#4: Post by Gionnibello (original poster) »

Thank you friends for your replies.
JRising wrote:Anything's possible and you could mount the Silvia OPV vertically on the new threads you've tapped into your Oscar's perfectly good boiler. Even worse, you could drill 2 flange holes into the boiler on either side of a polished port where you'll mount the Gaggia OPV.
I get the lesson!! :D Definitely not worthy it. I thought the OPV for these machine were as simple as the one for the Oscar, a valve to fix to the pump or similar.
JRising wrote:Is there no chance of cleaning your Oscar's OPV, maybe replacing the valve-face and reinstalling it?
The thing is, I don't have an OPV on mine and would like to put one.

JRising
Team HB

#5: Post by JRising »

Gionnibello wrote: The thing is, I don't have an OPV on mine and would like to put one.
Give us a photo of the available space... I found three places to try to jam a Lelit T-OPV into that guy's purple Nuova Era Dream, or Ass Caso or who-ever is making the dream, just a couple of days ago. There's got to be a better spot available in a Nova Simonelli Oscar... You sure there's no OPV, already. Show me. What's the deal? It has an un-adjustable OPV or really nothing at all? Forgive my ignorance on the Oscar.

Gionnibello (original poster)

#6: Post by Gionnibello (original poster) »

Thank you John for your help.
JRising wrote:You sure there's no OPV, already.
Pretty sure. What I have is just a Neplax valve attached to the group head which I guess I can't use it as an OPV right?
Have a look at the parts diagram below

I really appreciate all the help I can get.

JRising
Team HB

#7: Post by JRising »

Oh, you could probably replace that one with an adjustable OPV.