Nuova Simonelli Appia 2 lost brew pressure

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Tarryn

#1: Post by Tarryn »

Hi Brains Trust,
My Appia 2 (Nuova Simonelli) has lost grouphead/pouring pressure.
A bit of background.. this happens two weeks ago and after some research it looked like an airlock from the water tank to the machine (via filter). I flushed water from the hose thru the water pipe connected and it worked.. water pouring thru the group head with great pressure and normality and all has been great, until this morning.
The same issue started just like two weeks ago. I got a few coffees out and then no water coming thru. The pressure bar seemed ok. I pushed water thru the tank water pipe and yay.. water came thru and pressure was great again... for only two coffees and the pressure dropped to 0 bar and wouldn't budge! Water was still coming through the grouphead tho just no pressure.
Keen for your thoughts on this one :)

WWWired

#2: Post by WWWired »

Hi Tarryn :)

Sounds like you have line pressure (45 to 55 PSI) or a complete blockage at varying times. Your Pump Assembly should be pushing about 120 to 220 PSI (9 to 15 bar) if functioning correctly.

It's possible that your Rotary Vane Pump is seizing up intermittently due to mineral scale or a bit of water slightly rusting the bearings, or has developed a fault internally (bearings/vanes/seals etc.). From the description, water can pass freely sometimes but is not boosted in pressure by a spinning pump. Other times there is no passage of water at all.

Not too expensive a part to replace if it turns out to be a complete failure of the Rotary Vane Pump, and the Rotary Vane Pump just uncouples from the Electric Motor and can be swapped out for a new one with a few screws/bolts and reconnecting of the water in/out fittings. See first if you can get a closer look at the Rotary Vane Pump and Electric motor to see if its spinning.

Here's a bit of a video showing and describing the Rotary Vane Pump and at about 12:45 of the video they discuss a common fault in the Rotary Vane Pump . . . (check out at 9:02 of the video for a shout-out to Home-Barista by the video makers)
Credit: Youtube and Seatle Coffee Gear

Do you happen to have a video of the machine in action? :) . . . if you can pick up some sound near the pump area that will offer some great insight as well :)