Nuova Era Cuadra need help boiling not stopping

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Fun Dee

#1: Post by Fun Dee »

My cuadra working well 2 years using, but now I heard a steam drain tube always have steam coming out all the time.

Normally after pressure reach a set up level 1.2 steam drain will be no more steam (15-30mins after turn on)

And I saw a control box clicking every 45second

For a extraction I feel it still working good, but I just concern its will be a bigger issue if we not fix it now, thank you in advance for your help

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

That side (The thick valve on that P-Stat) Is your Safety Valve, it is not the anti-vacuum valve(Skinny side) that stops hissing after the boiler boils.
If that safety valve is leaking steam at less than 1.4 Bar pressure, it is no longer working properly and probably should be replaced.
If it doesn't leak until higher than 1.5Bar pressure, then it is working properly and you have to fix your Cuadra and stop it from overheating.

It is possible to take the valve apart, inspect it and maybe clean and fix it. It is mandatory that that valve be able to leak at more than 1.5 Bar, otherwise the boiler or something will rupture. If it can't be fixed, replace it.

mokava

#3: Post by mokava »

XP110 part is the pressure stat, so the click you hear every 45sec may as well be coming from it. Do you see the heating light come on/off too with the click?

If it's clicking more frequently than before, first thing I'd check would be at what pressure it's cutting off, if it's close to 1.2bar as set, then it's operating ok. If it's close to 1.5bar, then it's now out of tune for some reason and may be borderline unsafe, so needs inspection.

Next, check at what pressure the pstat kicks on the heater. If again, somewhat below 1.2bar as set, then ok; if higher, then sure it's out of tune or scaled/damaged.

A reason for more frequent cycling also may be due to steam leak somewhere.

slybarman

#4: Post by slybarman »

"control box" you hear clicking is the mechanical relay. Likely needs to be replaced. You can clean it and it will work for a short while, but then will stop working again. It will need to be replaced every few years (depends on how much you keep the machine on).

Jake_G
Team HB

#5: Post by Jake_G »

Given the constant leak, it is more likely that the safety valve is weeping at a pressure lower than the pressurestat set point.

This will result in frequent cycling of the heating element as the pressure hits set point and then the safety relief valve promptly drops it below the deadband of the MaTer pressurestat. I would fix the leaky valve before worrying about the relay, though a new pressurestat of that style generally includes a relay, so it may be a moot point if the safety valve needs replaced.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704