New pressurestat, no steam on Nuova Simonelli Oscar 1

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Myron

#1: Post by Myron »

Oscar 1 repair beginner. Had the "no water light" problem. Replaced the Gicar board and everything worked normally. While repairing, I noticed that the pressurestat was leaking and was significantly corroded around the leak, so I bought a new Sirai V_289 and installed it. Now, the machine will not steam, not even a whisper. I adjusted the pressure up and have lost count of the revolutions. The boiler is hot to the touch, the pump works and water from the group is around 160f per a meat thermometer. Continuing to turn the adjustment screw to infinity and beyond seems worrisome. Ideas? Suggestions? Thanks!

plindy

#2: Post by plindy »

:idea:
Being local am sure we can get ya up and running
loads o spares

Advertisement
Myron (original poster)

#3: Post by Myron (original poster) »

Discouraged, I lowered the pressure by turning the screw in a few revolutions. In a short period of time, I had strong steam. Turn on the steam and the heating element clicked on immediately. Hooray, it works. Put the cover back on. Today, started it up and...nothing. No steam again. Tried turning the screw out a few revolutions for more pressure. Run a bunch of water through the group head and the heater element doesn't kick in right away. It does turn on in a little while and things heat. But, no steam. Do I have a defective pressurestat?

plindy

#4: Post by plindy »

Hi Myron

Most frustrating, however welcome to HB.
I may have been more cryptic than normal, Sorry.
Have you clicked the idea emoji, as it was a hyperlink.
Would be happy to consult, landline 284-1283, anytime.

Myron (original poster)

#5: Post by Myron (original poster) »

Thanks Plindy for sending the Elecktros video link about no steam. I knew about this fabulous website but missed this tiny video. Yes, removing the nut on the connection tube where it connects to the steam wand mechanism and pushing on the little green plastic valve that you can see inside, does work. The steam mystery seems to be solved as everything seems to be working...again. I'll leave the cover off for a few days and see if it behaves itself. I am planning on selling this machine as I have a new ECM Syncronika. Thanks again.

RealMcCoy

#6: Post by RealMcCoy »

Good Day,

First post! I am hoping for some guidance around my Oscar 1 that is producing no steam. I recently had the heating element replaced, along with the steam valve and retaining valve (6 weeks ago). Machine has been working great, yesterday AM no steam at all. I have researched and have done the following:

1- Disconnected output tubing from the retaining valve, turned on machine and have steam direct from boiler upon heat up with no load
2- Checked the oval green floating pressure ring in valve, seems to be free and also has moisture around it
3- Reinstalled retaining valve and piston steam valve, with no stem, no steam

Seems that there is no steam going through the new retaining valve. Does this valve failure act like complete blockage? I can not blow any air through.

Thanks for any guidance !

Dave

Myron (original poster)

#7: Post by Myron (original poster) »

So, you have steam from the boiler, correct? You have steam where the tube attaches to the steam wand? I had this problem and jiggled the green valve (Check out the Elektros video mentioned in this thread) that's visible after removing the tube from the boiler to the steam wand assembly. Then, I had steam. Buttoned it up and the next day, it stuck again. So, after looking at a schematic of the steam wand (I could post a picture of my old steam wand parts, as I dissembled my old one), I decided to order a complete new steam wand assembly from Espresso Parts. It costs $70 and everything is new and good for years and years. There are a lot of fiddly bits in the steam wand. Things can rebuilt, but I took the easy route. Take care.

Advertisement
RealMcCoy

#8: Post by RealMcCoy »

Hi Myron,
I have taken the valve apart and understand what you are saying. Seems that I am not getting any air through the steam check valve. The green valve appears to function easily. After removing the green valve, I can not blow air through the valve at all.

Recap:

1- I have pulled the copper off the steam valve body - I get steam coming from the boiler copper fitting
2- I have checked the retaining valve (green) and it functions with a push in of a paper clip. I have gone as far as to take the green valve assembly out of the fitting.
3- I have pulled the steam valve unit out of the machine and have tried to blow air through it, but can not. I would think that an air compressor should flow through the unit.

Dave

Nick111

#9: Post by Nick111 »

This is my retaining valve.
This is the same retaining valve used in the water delivery path to the HX.
In some instances bits of a broken valve were found elsewere within the machine.
Check your steam assembly for a possible clog.

RealMcCoy

#10: Post by RealMcCoy »

I will attempt to attach a pic. Is it possible that the stem of the piston valve has broken off inside of he check valve? Does this piston length look correct? I can not see light through the check valve at all. If you look closely inside the check valve there is a solid piece, appears to be blocking any light or air flow (steam).