New La Marzocco GS/3 - is this normal? - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Wattbe (original poster)

#11: Post by Wattbe (original poster) »

That's an awesome post - thank you! It's very interesting to hear the different theories and the fact that a thorough group head bleed seems to have stopped it.
I've attached another short video below which might show it better than the previous one.
Regarding the bleed - do you activate the pump once up to temp to squeeze any remaining air out? Or is the pressure inside the boiler enough? Or do you start from cold as when new?
Based on any advice you can give, I'll try this out.
Interestingly, it doesn't happen when the group is pressurised either with a puck or a blind disc - only when flushing the group.
Also thank you for your info about the tea wand - sounds sensible. I've spoken with LM today and he said something very similar to you. He said that they're designed slightly differently than the steam joint apparently.

Regarding the leak, I've put a spanner on the nut and applied some more torque - as much as I dare and it didn't seem to move but the leak/weep has almost stopped. When I turned the machine back on to heat up, the expansion valve starts to release pressure to keep the 12 bar max pressure and only once the boiler got up to temp did I see a tiny amount of water on the thread of the nut - more of a glisten in the torchlight. No drop emerged and after about 20 mins it evaporated and has stayed dry since. I guess it only weeps slightly when the expansion valve is venting drops, once it's up to temp, it doesn't seem to happen.
Either way there's a LM engineer coming round in the next day or two to have a look.
Thanks for taking the time to explain the issues - I appreciate it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGmNZyCTfGk

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#12: Post by Peppersass »

Looks a lot like the other video. I still can't see the lag/jump on the brew boiler gauge. All I see is a normal ramp to max pressure.There might be a little movement after that, but the camera is too far away to see it. Aim the camera at the brew boiler gauge on the front panel and keep it there. Get in closer if you can.

I wouldn't rule out that more torque will completely close the fitting, but better if you leave that to the tech. After it's fixed, make sure you get an explanation of what was wrong and which parts were replaced, if needed. Before the tech leaves, run the machine from full off to full warm-up and through some free flow and brew cycles to make sure the leak is gone.

Since you have a tech coming, it would be a good idea to make sure there are no other leaks. Remove the both side panels, the cup tray and the top panel and carefully inspect all areas of the machine for leaks. Leaks are uncommon, but new machines are probably more vulnerable due to possible loosening of fittings during shipping. The consequences of a leak can be quite severe because the logic board isn't well protected and it's very expensive to replace.

Since you slowed or eliminated the leak, I think you can run the machine until the tech gets there, but do it with the covers off so you can keep an eye out for any water accumulation under the fitting or anywhere else.

On bleeding, my GS/3 is plumbed in, so I don't run the pump to refill it. The 3-4 BAR line pressure takes care of that, albeit quite a bit slower than if I were to run the pump at 9 BAR. I use line pressure because the water doesn't spray out quite so violently when the group is full, like it does with the pump. I don't drain/refill very often, so the long fill time isn't a problem.

FWIW, the reservoir works well, but if you can plumb-in the water supply it'll make a world of difference to your enjoyment of the machine. Even better if you can plumb in the drain.

Wattbe (original poster)

#13: Post by Wattbe (original poster) »

Thanks again for the reply. On looking at the video again, it's more like .25 bar rise but it's the noise change that I noticed first. It ramps up normally but then something happens to make the manometer needle move with a corresponding noise change. Very odd.
Thanks for the info about bleeding - I'm tempted to get it plumbed.
I'll have a good look inside once the tech guy arrives. I'll keep you posted.
Out of interest, do the fittings that the nuts screw on to have Teflon tape on the threads? The weep develops from the thread of fitting that the nut screws on to - I'm guessing Teflon tape would be an easy fix?

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by Peppersass »

Interesting. My lag/jump was never that small, but the way you describe it is exactly the same. It only happened during free flow, never during a shot or while backflushing, and the sound of the water always changed after the jump. More of a rushing or whistling sound after the jump. Ever since I installed the new TL-30 tube that moved the gicleur location, the lag/jump is gone and I hear the post-jump sound right from the get-go.

All of the fittings in the GS/3 are British Standard, which don't require thread sealer or tape. They seal with a copper washer, a fiber washer, a flare fitting or, as in the case of your leaking fitting, a nipple that seals against a concave opening. In contrast, non-flare and non-compression NPT fittings typically used in the USA do require some sort of thread sealer.

There's no harm in using Teflon tape to temporarily fix a BS fitting that's leaking. I've done it myself while waiting for the proper washer to arrive, and I know of at least one professional espresso machine tech who uses it on fittings installed during pre-sales setup. However, best practice is to determine why the fitting is leaking and correct the problem. In your case, I think it's got to be some debris keeping the nipple from fully seating against the concave depression in the tee, or it's a defect in the surface of the nipple or concave depression, or it's a bad solder job on the nipple.

Wattbe (original poster)

#15: Post by Wattbe (original poster) »

Thanks for the info and it's interesting that by moving the TL30 tube you got it to stop.
I've spoke with LM yesterday and they watched the video of the jump. They didn't seem worried about it and said that the check valves are normally much stiffer in a new machine, so it could be one that takes a little longer to fully open?
I'm just trying to visualise how moving that TL30 inlet tube could affect it but to no avail!
If there's any other GS3 owners out there, could I ask if you've seen/heard that pressure change as you run brew water through the group without a portafilter?
I re bled the group but that didn't change anything.

I'm not sure if it's related but when I first got the machine and after watching videos of the new MP version, as you begin to move the paddle I used to get a 'whooshing' sound from the group (not water exiting into the drip tray but within the group head itself). As you go past 3 ha, the wooshing stopped. I've noticed that this whooshing sound doesn't happen any more even though the pressure and flow are exactly the same as when I first got the machine (240ml/30 secs).