Need help with Astra Mega C (Gourmet Auto)

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Kaz

#1: Post by Kaz »

Thank you! You were spot on about the vacuum breaker. Seems to be fine after cleaning.
-Brew path has no scale, dispersion plate is brand new.
-Since the boiler doesn't overfill even after I use the machine for a while, I decided not to touch the autofill valve for the fear of introducing leaks.
-I got a Joe Frex pressure gauge that I screwed on the second portafilter. It reads correctly on my other machine.
-Unfortunately the machine doesn't have a pump pressure gauge.

I have a feeling that the computer senses no flow against the portafilter gauge and limits motor power. I've seen the pressure build up to 9 bar, when I introduce leaks and the water flows for a bit. I think I am worrying about nothing...

LObin

#2: Post by LObin »

1. It seems you need a new vacuum breaker. You can aleays try to soak it in descaling solution or water and vinegar. These are serviceable parts.

2. This one is a little trickier. A few possibilities:

- There is potential scale in your brew path.
- Did you fully clean the dispersion plate, dispersion hole and top of the group?
- The group or autofill solenoid valve maybe be partially blocked with a loose debris.
- What kind of PF pressure gauge did you build? Did you try it on another machine to make sure it gives a proper read?
- How's your Astra pump pressure gauge behaving when A. Pulling shots? B. Backflushing with a blind filter?
- You may already so this but I would only use the manual brew button when troubleshooting.

I doubt it's the electronic board that's faulty here.

Btw, I'm currently rebuilding the same machine...

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

Advertisement
Kaz (original poster)

#3: Post by Kaz (original poster) replying to LObin »

Thank you! You were spot on about the vacuum breaker. Seems to be fine after cleaning.
-Brew path has no scale, dispersion plate is brand new.
-Since the boiler doesn't overfill even after I use the machine for a while, I decided not to touch the autofill valve for the fear of introducing leaks.
-I got a Joe Frex pressure gauge that I screwed on the second portafilter. It reads correctly on my other machine.
-Unfortunately the machine doesn't have a pump pressure gauge.

I have a feeling that the computer senses no flow against the portafilter gauge and limits motor power. I've seen the pressure build up to 9 bar, when I introduce leaks and the water flows for a bit. I think I am worrying about nothing...