My first real restoration: 1995 CMA (Laurentis) SME / 2N

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
HalfFast

#1: Post by HalfFast »

Hi kids! First post.

I live in south-central Nebraska (not exactly the espresso machine Mecca of the World) and so I was surprised to see TWO espresso machines available for a total of $300 yesterday. The one that is functional is a 1995 CMA (Laurentis) SME / 2N. Both steam wands work, but only one group works. This will be my first restoration project. A tech I respect in Kansas City told me that this is basically the same as Astoria (and it looks like the discontinued Argenta).

Question: What parts would be your Prime Suspects for one group not working?

I also wanted to share links that I found useful in giving me an outline of how to tackle this project. Paul Pratt (of Cafelat - Robot fame) wrote an informative little article called "My restoration schedule" and "Thoughts on Restoring Vintage Machines".

Thanks for reading!

RobAnybody

#2: Post by RobAnybody »

Hi and welcome!
My first guess for the non functioning group would be a clogged or broken solenoid valve.
Since you mention it looks like the Argentina, I found a schematic of that machine here:
https://www.espressoparts.com/parts/com ... enta-parts
There is also a general service manual for the laurentis on scribt:
https://www.scribd.com/doc/68502366/Ast ... nce-Manual
As far as I could see it discusses all versions of the machine.
Good luck with the restoration and hopefully you'll find time to share some pictures!
Cheers!
Rob
LMWDP #647

Advertisement
HalfFast (original poster)

#3: Post by HalfFast (original poster) »

I appreciate the reply!
The machine came home with me today. (It was hooked up and still functioning when I looked at it yesterday so I gave them a day to dismantle.)

An espresso tech in KC told me that he just sold one (he said was not as nice as this one) for $1800. So that makes me feel pretty good. (The external pump & motor in the front are worth more than what I paid for the whole enchilada!) The seller was nice enough to also give me a box of various S.S. pitchers, a knockbox, tamper & bunch of baskets.

The espresso tech told me my group problem is probably just clogs. He says there are a couple of trouble spots for that in these machines. (Now to figure out where those might be).

nirdvorai
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by nirdvorai »

What a great find!
I have an Astoria CKXE which is a similar but 1 group. My machine was also clog, and the culprit was a clog flowmeter.
Pull Pratt has a guide how to treat the flowmeter. The clog at my machine was pretty hard and stubborn. I used dentist tools to break it.

Good luck.

Donjulios

#5: Post by Donjulios »

I would check that your getting power to your solenoid first. If not it's likely you just need to replace a fuse in the control box. If there is power to solenoid but you don't hear a clicking sound when it's engaged the solenoid needs to be replaced. Failing that it might be calcification build up in one of the lines.

DarrenAddy

#6: Post by DarrenAddy »

Appreciate the add'l replies!

I currently have this in my garage and my daughter (who owns a coffee kiosk as part of Barista's Daily Grind) is going to loan me her kiosk generator to hook it up and do some real testing this weekend. My son-in-law does a lot of the maintenance work on their La Marzocco machines and he's been helpful, as well. I will keep y'all updated.

BrianCortado

#7: Post by BrianCortado »

Very cool- looking forward to the updates.