My ECM Synchronika now sounds like a Breville BES920... - Page 3

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
HenryL (original poster)

#21: Post by HenryL (original poster) »

As suggested, I pulled off the tip of the hot water spigot and found no scaly bits or deposits inside. Thanks all, have an amazing day!

PeetsFan
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by PeetsFan » replying to HenryL »

It doesn't make sense that this would be scale.
Scaling happens when the water is heated and the calcium in the water solidifies. At the pump, your water is still cool, right? You pump cool water into the boiler, not out of the boiler.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
HenryL (original poster)

#23: Post by HenryL (original poster) »

Hello! Thanks for everyone's feedback. Dug a little deeper this weekend, and was able to get the pump separated from the motor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that there should be no water at all between the two, is that correct? I think this is the key.

Running the motor with the pump disconnected, the sound is bare metal - like the bushing/bearing is worn, Water is pooled there, and more corrosion. No obvious leak from the pump side of the connection, but it would only take a drop or two over time to do the damage.

WLL had offered to send a new motor, I wanted to make sure the pump was not part of the problem and that's why I tore it down first. Seems to me the pump has leaked into the connection surfaces and caused the motor to grind metal on metal. There's no sign of any water leaks that might be dripping onto the motor/pump connection externally, so to my mind a pump leak causing pump & motor to deteriorate is the only logical conclusion. Trying to get some pics but what say you all? The remedy would be to replace the pump AND the motor, yes?

Ken5
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by Ken5 »

HB wrote:If you do decide to go at it with a cardboard stethoscope, try pressing on a suspected noisemaker with a wooden dowel rod to see if the noise stops.
If the dowel, or a strip wood, is thick enough to rest against your ear a bit that too can be used as a stethoscope. Guess you could always thin the end that touches the object a bit if needed.