Nuova Simonelli Musica repair advice

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Mraie

#1: Post by Mraie »

Hello, have a major issue with my musica. I had noticed the coffee temp was lower than normal and last time I turned on the main circuit breaker tripped. I opened it up as thought maybe heating element was gone. When I looked I saw some corrosion around the boiler and element seal. I can also see what looks like a leak from the pipe work on top of the boiler and has been dripping onto the pump pressure and temp wiring. I am not sure how to checked the element, pump solenoid with a multimeter or best approach to repair. Any advice very welcome. Have added pictures of boiler and pump

nahau

#2: Post by nahau »

First off, I don't own your type machine nor have I ever seen or worked on one.

Your machine uses a 1200 watt heating element, so the resistance across the leads of your heating element, with no wires connected to it, should be about 12 ohms for 120v and about 40 ohms for 220v. I have no idea where Cork is so I don't know what your AC voltage is. Don't forget to unplug your machine before working in there, and take pictures so you know where wires are supposed to go.

I don't know if the temp probe on the heating element is "integrated" into the element or a separate item that can be installed/removed. If it can be removed, perhaps it's just a gasket that needs replacement or the fitting wrapped with some teflon tape. Or, if it's just sitting there in the tube, then it might be the tube itself (part of the element) has sprung a small leak. The heating element leak itself is probably just the gasket, so you can just replace it. Elements are normally installed very tightly, not to mention that scale build up on the threads can make them difficult to remove. Sometimes an impact gun with a socket is needed to remove the element. On my machine, I use an impact gun to both remove and install my element since the gasket used is teflon and sometimes needs to be hammered down to make a good seal.

Whatever you do, you'll need to pull the element to check how the temp probe is integrated, and to change the element or it's gasket. If you can't do this yourself, then get someone to help or you'll need to take it to a repair shop ($$$).

The leaking pipe fitting should be disassembled and cleaned. If it's a compression type fitting, hopefully it's not been overly tightened to the point of damaging it's sealing capability. If it has been overtightened, then you'll need to possibly replace the fittings and tubing as needed. Pull the connection apart and check to see what kind of fitting it is. It might have an o-ring, or just needs a bit of teflon tape to make a good seal. Note that you cannot use teflon tape on a compression type fitting.

Also, the pump wires should be pulled and all terminals should be cleaned so they're nice and shiny again.

Further advice for you... use the Search function at the top of the page to look up things about your machine. There are a ton of threads related to the Musica. Like this one where they talk about the heating element...

Temperature problem on E61 espresso machine

As a side note, I'm surprised there are cobwebs inside the machine... must be a very robust spider to live in all that heat!

Mraie (original poster)

#3: Post by Mraie (original poster) »

Thanks very much Nahau for the advice. My voltage is 220 volt and checked the resistance for the element and reading 43ohms. I do think the seal is gone around the element but need to check if the temp. Probe is intergrated or not. I am slowly taking everything apart and then decide on ordering parts and checking seals. only noticed the spider web after you mentioned it. Will give it a good clean out.

nahau

#4: Post by nahau »

If you need to use an impact gun, be sure to hold on the to boiler well to apply some anti-torque or have someone help you hold on to it so none of the fittings, etc get torqued around. Just go slow and you'll get it. These machines are quite easy to work on once you start learning about them... however bothersome they can be sometimes! Let us know how it goes.

plindy

#5: Post by plindy »

+1 for nahau

troubleshooting

not sure if you need to remove element
TF

G'luck