Molykote 111 vs CFL651 Grease

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Ken5

#1: Post by Ken5 »

I asked this in another thread, but since it was buried in a thread of a different topic I decided to move it to it's own thread instead.

Does anyone know how Filter Logic's 'Silicone Lubricant CFL651' compares to Molykote 111 when it comes only to food safety?

I know that Molykote is well known on this forum, here is a link to the CFL651:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FilterLogic-CF ... B081B4XK8T.

I asked a company what kind of grease to use in their product and I said that I had Molykote 111 on hand. They wrote back that the CFL651 was recommended because it was 'food safe.' Since I know that Molycote is too I am wondering if they are just not aware that the 111 is food safe, or that they actually know that the 651 more food safe.

Thanks!

Ken

Derryisreal
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Derryisreal »

Neither is great. As forum member Kolu said use PTFE based grease. Londinium offers one such:

https://londiniumespresso.com/store/ind ... uct_id=115

It is food safe.
Light roasts are to me what garlic is to vampires.

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Pressino replying to Derryisreal »

I wonder about the fact that it contains PTFE. I know it has NSF-H1 certification, and is approved for use in equipment with "incidental exposure" to food/potable water. MolyKote is certified under a different classification as NSH-51/NSH-61. Both are apparently deemed "food safe," though the wording suggests to me there are some differences...such as NSH-61 being deemed safe for "drinking water system components." That may or may not be a big deal...but I have to wonder if a PTFE containing grease would pass NSH-51/61 requirements.

Some may criticize my attitude and comments about PTFE containing grease as paranoid disinformation, but I view it as healthy skepticism.

edit: the spots where I wrote NSH were typos and should have been NSF...

Derryisreal
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Derryisreal »

I think the ECM machines come out of the factory with the Loxeal. I am not using the Molykote anymore, it just isn't good enough.

Ken5 (original poster)

#5: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

Thank you Ivo and Nick.

100g is more grease than I can use in a lifetime. :(

Derryisreal
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Derryisreal »

There is this one too:

https://www.qualitybearingsonline.com/k ... e-703-60g/

It is the best of the best... If you can swallow the price :shock:

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

Ken - What are you lubricating? Rubber seals or metal parts?
LMWDP 267

Ken5 (original poster)

#8: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

Hi Ivo, still too much for me. :(

Thanks John! Probably something that does not really touch anything that makes it into the cup. The metal threads for my Niche bean funnel which came with grease on the threads, guessing probably to help keep the adjustment from moving during grinding is my guess for its use.

I asked Niche if Molykote which I have on hand, was good to use since it was food safe and they responded that Molykote was not food safe and recommended the CFL651 silicone grease over the Molykote. Both state food safe and have different designations, but I don't really understand them :(

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

Ken5 wrote:
Thanks John! Probably something that does not really touch anything that makes it into the cup. The metal threads for my Niche bean funnel which came with grease on the threads, guessing probably to help keep the adjustment from moving during grinding is my guess for its use.

I asked Niche if Molykote which I have on hand, was good to use since it was food safe and they responded that Molykote was not food safe and recommended the CFL651 silicone grease over the Molykote. Both state food safe and have different designations, but I don't really understand them :(
Dow 111 Valve lube is a food grade lube but it would be a poor choice for lubricating metal threads on a grinder. It's a silicone grease designed to lube rubber seals not metal. You want a petroleum or synthetic based food safe lube for metal to metal contact. I've used the Haynes Lubri-Film Plus on my grinder adjustment threads for over a decade and would highly recommend it.

https://www.partstown.com/grindmaster-c ... lsrc=aw.ds
LMWDP 267

Ken5 (original poster)

#10: Post by Ken5 (original poster) »

Thanks John! I really appreciate your suggestion.

Do you order from parts town? I would either order it from them if you do, or directly from Haynes site.

Ken