Molykote 111 alternatives?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jamii-

#1: Post by jamii- »

I really need to lubricate the lever of my machine and was wondering if there is any alternative to molykote that is more widely available and maybe cheaper. Thank you!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Espresso Care recommends Haynes Lubricant as an alternative. If you're buying other parts, it's worth adding to the cart, since the shipping will likely be more than the actual tube of lubricant. Of course, Amazon sells Dow Corning/Molykote 111 too. One ounce will last for many years.
Dan Kehn

Sw1ssdude

#3: Post by Sw1ssdude »

There are plenty of lubricants available. dough kneading machines in bakeries and meat cutters at the butcher store need lubricants too.

in a pinch you could even use carmex, if it wasnt for the taste...

but seriously, if you have a food processing facility nearby (Baker, Butcher, whatever..), grab a tiny container and ask if they could spare some lubricant. i tried the same trick with special contact cement for rubber, and got a shotglass of glue from a nearby shoe maker...
Lean Mean Caffeine Machine

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

jamii- wrote:I really need to lubricate the lever of my machine and was wondering if there is any alternative to molykote that is more widely available and maybe cheaper. Thank you!
Molykote 111 is NLGI 3 (NLGI 3 = "firm, vegetable shortening"
(What is NLGI -> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_consistency_number )
SuperLube https://www.super-lube.com/multi-purpos ... colon-ptfe is NSF-rated and is widely available in North America and its thickest formulation is NLGI 2 = "normal, peanut butter"

I can't find an NLGI rating for Haynes Silicone Grease, but it is quite a bit thinner than SuperLube or Molykote so I do not use it where there is sliding metal-to-metal contact like in a lever mechanism. I only use Haynes for seals, o-rings, portafilter gaskets, water filter gaskets, etc., as Haynes states that their Silicone Grease is to:
... prevent valves and o-rings from sticking in high- and low-temperature conditions. Haynes® Silicone Grease can be effectively used on EPDM seals where grease compatibility is a concern. ...

Other major applications include use with water filters for annual maintenance, and as a dielectric grease to protect connections from moisture.

This food-safe silicone grease is inert and capable of resisting many chemicals. Suitable for high vacuum or pressure systems, Haynes grease can seal synthetic rubber and plastic parts that come in contact with metal. ...
- https://haynesmfg.com/collections/what- ... one-grease
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

kelly1

#5: Post by kelly1 »

Cabelas has a food safe grease for all of their food processing equipment.
It is their house brand fyi,about $10.00 for a large tube,kelly