Mokita Combi Super-Inox ; A newbie story.

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Aubergine

#1: Post by Aubergine »

Hi,

I'm totally new here and fairly new to the coffee world. As a preface I'd like to say that I still need to learn all the precise coffee and machines lingo' so it might be difficult to me to clearly understand everything. Sorry in advance!

I received a used Mokita Combi Super-Inox a couple years back from friends relatives and I've just started to work on it.

The first time I plugged it in I simply couldn't make it work. I could get the steam-wand to work but nothing ever came out of the group head. As previously stated I don't know much about machines and have very basic understanding of how they work. Therefore I simply went to professionals to fix it. I went to the place it was probably sold in Montréal 20 or-so years ago. They fixed it, it was quick and not too expensive. If I remember well they changed the pump.

It worked well for 2 weeks. I had fun and okay tasting coffees but then it abruptly stopped. I had about the same issue again. While this time some water could flow through the head it was nowhere near enough pressure to even pass the coffee bed. I got lazy and let the warranty time pass but finally went again. They fully cleaned it this time and everything was fine.

This time it worked 2 days. Same issue as before ; the water flow in the group head get too low to do anything. I didn't get lazy this time and quickly went back. They changed a clogged valve and I was back home. It was yesterday. It wasn't working so I called them and finally was able to directly talk with the technician. I've learned that I was probably the issue all along. I should be refilling the boiler before pulling a shot by letting the water flow through the wand. The technician kindly guided me but it still didn't work. She then told me I probably would need to come back so they fully manually clean it by opening-up the boiler. It cost a lot. About 200$ CAD when I'm already about 400$ in counting the accessories.

Yesterday night, right before bed, I was playing around and was able to make it work. I turned it on, let the ( cold ) water flow through the wand until I had a steady flow. Then I let the machine warm up for about 15/20 minutes before testing out the group head. The flow was great and I was able to pull a nice looking shot. Sadly, this morning I did exactly the same thing yet again had a terrible flow in the group head.

The machine being free is the only reason I worked on it instead of buying the lever machine I actually want. I don't want to bring it back, I don't trust them. It's probably unfair to them since the issue is my own lack of knowledge but it is what it is.

I clearly don't know how to operate the machine. I'm sure I am the issue. Could you please help me figure out how it works so I can see if it's broken? If it is, what can I do to try to fix it? Should I try to open it up myself? I don't mind if I break it when trying things out, I'm very close from just throwing the towel and getting a Flair 58, coffee isn't fun anymore right now ^^'

Thanks and sorry for the long text.

Tl;Dr : I have no idea what I am doing, I might even lack the basic informations, help please.

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

Are you back-flushing it?
I have no idea of Mokita includes the rubber back-flushing disks with their Combi machines. Talk to the retailer about it and whether they'll sell you Cafiza and a blind filter or rubber back-flush disk for it.

Most Google hits for back-flushing end up finding E61 type machines, but the idea's the same, whether you have a 3-way solenoid or a stack of manual valves.

Aubergine (original poster)

#3: Post by Aubergine (original poster) »

JRising wrote:Are you back-flushing it?
I watched that exact video earlier today!

As far as I understand the Mokita Combi Super sold in Canada doesn't have a 3 ways valve?
I've checked under the tray and I can feel a hole where it might have been in the other models but mine doesn't seem to have a pipe there.

JRising
Team HB

#4: Post by JRising »

Oh, sorry. The ones labeled as "Faema MDD Ambassador" or "Faema MDD Combi do have a three-way valve, but I don't know about the stuff they sold in Montreal. Sorry.