Modding the KitchenAid espresso machine

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
D_Prince
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by D_Prince »

Been getting a lot of personal messages on here about mods on Kitchenaid Espresso machines. So far seems most people aren't reading my replies or aren't marking them read. Decided to make it a bit more public and possibly help more people.

Mods:
Changed shower screen holder from stock aluminum to brass - better thermal mass (massively reduced the temp swing in shots to almost negligible if I let it warm up about 20 minutes or so)
Dripless Commercial OPV - No leaks, adjustable, doesn't wander
IMS Competition Screen - better/more even extraction
IMS Competition Basket - better/more even extraction
Caffewerks Silicone Portafilter Gasket - better gasket/easier to wipe down
Thicker Bottomless Portafilter - Judging shots/possibly better thermal mass
Rancilio Silvia V3 Steam wand - better traditional steaming
Modding the steam wand to burn-less (lined with Teflon tubing)- Got tired of having to scrub down the steam wand if I didn't clean the split second I took the wand out of the milk
Updated thermostat on steam boiler from 145C to 155C - Better pressure and mitigated variation on quality of steam
Replaced stock steamer boiler gaskets to silicone - required with the extra heat/pressure otherwise steamer boiler might leak.
Changed the rubber feet from ¼ inch to 1 inch - Needed the extra height for steaming since the replacement want was longer plus it helps evaporation of any moisture under the machine from refilling the tank etc.

Wand:

The Rancillo V3 required an adapter and a trip to the machine shop to open up the adapter to let the spring and teflon seat for the ball joint move freely. Also I recommend taking it to burnless since you'll be in there. See guide here: DIY Rancilio Silvia V3 wand conversion to "burnless"

Parts:
Blanking Disc - theespressoshop.co.uk
Bottomless Portafilter with 21g Basket - theespressoshop.co.uk
Brass Shower Plate - theespressoshop.co.uk (get the 4 hole one had issues with the 6 hole creating channeling)
IMS Competition Filter Basket - theespressoshop.co.uk
IMS Shower Screen - theespressoshop.co.uk
Water Thermostat 107°C M4 - theespressoshop.co.uk
La Pavoni Portafilters Handle - theespressoshop.co.uk
Boiler Thermostat 155°C - theespressoshop.co.uk
Gaggia Home Unit Boiler O-ring - Silicone - espressoparts.com
Rancilio Silvia V3 Steam Wand - espressoparts.com
Rancilio New Steam Wand Rebuild Kit - espressoparts.com
Teflon tubing & Silicone gaskets - McMaster.com
OPV - Ebay
OPV Adapter pieces - Lowes
Rubber feet - Amazon
Feet hardware - Ace Hardware
Pressure gauge - ebay
Caffewerks E61 group gasket - Caffewerks.com (the picture shows a Cafelat gasket but I changed to the yellow Caffewerks for a better fit)

Here's the image of most of the parts. Old on right new on left.

OPV setup below: OPV brass adapter pieces were bought from Lowes but required some modification at a local machine shop for proper fitting.

Feet: Feet I got from Amazon, but required washers and other hardware to get the fitting right from the local hardware store.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KW8BZ87/