MiniBunn: Shortened Bunn G1 instructions [FAQ] - Page 7

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
icantlactate

#61: Post by icantlactate »

Could you send a link to where you bought that nice looking catch cup and show more detailed pictures of where you put the magnets?

Gorgeous.

Alex
[creative nickname] wrote:I finally got my Mini-Bunn, with the Ditting burrs, up and running this week! So far I've seasoned it with 5 lbs. of rice and a few pounds of throw-away coffee, and I am already loving the results.

<image>

This used to be the case from a banged up G2, and I removed almost half of the total height, some from the top and some from the bottom. Now it fits nicely beneath the upper cabinets. There are still some aspects of this that need to get done, including a new paint job and building a cleaner and more permanent upper funnel set-up. (Right now I just have the cut-down remains of the old funnel held in place with duct tape ... :oops:) But as soon as I had it far enough along that I could reassemble it and give it a try, I couldn't resist.

The little catch cup is held on with magnets; for big batches I use the tall metal cup seen on the right-side of the photo, which is tall enough that I can just rest it on the bottom grate.

I'm really grateful to Kurt and the others who have contributed to this thread; you guys made it much less scary to take on a project like this.

[creative nickname]

#62: Post by [creative nickname] »

Unfortunately I am in the middle of an extended road trip, so I cannot take any pictures before mid-August. But here is the catch-cup I bought: Brybelly Single Stainless Steel Drop-In Cup Holder, Small. It can hold about 70g of ground coffee before I would worry about spilling any.

As for the magnets, I glued on a few strong magnets to the back of the catch-cup itself, and then covered it over with sugru, which I built up into a flat rectangle to make the cup sit more stably against the body of the grinder. Next, I used more sugru to form some guiding rails onto the body of the grinder itself, so that when you get the catch-cup close to its position, it pops into the exact same spot each time without the need for the user to position it carefully. I'll take some pictures of this when I get home, to help make things clearer for anyone who is interested.
LMWDP #435