Microcimbali Rebuild - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

Hi Corey:

For the chrome pieces, JoGlo will degrime them very well. Probably a 1/2 hour soak should do.

For the exterior aluminum polishing, some aluminum polishing paste will work with lots of elbow grease. I made the mistake of putting my boilers in the dishwasher. That's a really good way to get them completely oxidized and to clean off the protective surface of scale and aluminum oxide inside the boiler, but you haven't mentioned doing something so foolish. I learned from my mistake.

I believe the cap to the piston assembly is aluminum with a brass insert. Should polish up with aluminum polish.

And yes, the steel spring can be descaled as can the steel piston rod and brass piston. Some copper might migrate to the surface of the brass piston, making it look redder but that won't hurt anything.

With regard to removing the cylinder, why? You can descale and clean it using a moppy bottle cleaner soaked in the appropriate solution and then lube it with Dow 111 before reinserting the piston.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Coz (original poster)

#12: Post by Coz (original poster) »

That's great Gary, exactly what I was looking for, thanks. The polishing alone should keep me busy until my seals arrive!

I'll be leaving the cylinder where it is, if there nothing really to be gained by yanking it out I'd rather leave it alone.

Cheers
Corey

russel

#13: Post by russel »

I just picked up a vintage MC as yet another restoration project...and now I'm in need of a PF. Does anyone know if the Liberty PFs fit these?
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

Russel:

Check with Orphan Espresso to make sure, but I think they're the same.
Gary
LMWDP#308

russel

#15: Post by russel »

Thanks.

I wish I could contact Orphan...I have three projects on the bench that I need parts info on...but I think they're swamped with LIDO making as I haven't heard back on my last three attempts this past month.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

drgary
Team HB

#16: Post by drgary »

If there's a part you know that you'll order, ask your questions in the comment field.
Gary
LMWDP#308

andyhenry

#17: Post by andyhenry »

Did any of you find that your boiler to element seal seemed to be too long? Mine seems like it should be about 3/16" shorter, though I have not yet tried forcing down in with the boiler. Did you lube it before installing? I didn't think I needed to, but haven't attached the boiler yet, so thought it made sense to ask.

Russell, did you ever find a portafilter? I have an extra.

Got two MCs from my brother-in-law. One should be a successful rebuild. The other had one bad heating element (1000 watt), and the boiler was shot.

Thanks.

Andy

Coz (original poster)

#18: Post by Coz (original poster) »

Hey all, I'm finally in a position to pick back up on my Microcimbali restoration... whoop! Looking back at my old thread, it's been around... wait for it, 7 YEARS since I was last working on it. So happy to be back at it.

I managed to get the coil in good shape today, before and after pics below. Next step is to tidy up the boiler and piston.

Looking at the machine in its current state it should come together fairly easily. At the moment I am thinking through how to get some of the more stubborn scum of the group head.

More updates soon!

IamOiman
Team HB

#19: Post by IamOiman »

Hey, the fact you are continuing the restoration now allowed me to see this thread for the first time. I probably would not have seen it since I did not have an account back then! Can't wait to see it finished up.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

M.White

#20: Post by M.White »

Good luck with that! I am myself just getting back into my La Cimbali Junior restoration project after 5 years :roll: