Mazzer Super Jolly conundrum

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
LObin

#1: Post by LObin »

I'm having some Major problems with my Super Jolly.
Alright alright. Cheesy I know. Sorry.

Here's the story: Bought this unit for $50 last winter.
Plugged it quickly. Motor sounded just fine. Great deal. Home I went.

Then... I realized later the sticker said it was a 220v. With an original 120v NA plug... Also, 110 was sharpied on the motor (mazzer factory?)... I was told in a previous thread that the capacitor is probably 110v as well. Once I figured out that the motor was inverted, it seems to operate normally. The grinder's been in storage ever since. Here's the original thread btw:

Is this old Mazzer Super Jolly 110v or 220v??

Here's a video of the suspect (black grinder on the right) next to a normal labeled 110v unit (grey). The grinder was still inverted back then.
Few months ago, we were fortunate enough to purchase a lake cottage. A second home means? A 2nd espresso setup!

Oh yeah, I do own an old Mazzer!
Put in new burrs (FOOD FRIENDLY BURRS), new springs, cleaned up the whole unit, zeroed it out and tried to grind for espresso... Nope. Big fail. Way too coarse. Gushers even at the finest settings.It won't grind fine enough.

I've read every thread I could find on the subject. Can't figure it out.
Shaft seems to turn straight. No collar locking screw. Burrs are well seated and screws are all the way down. It rotates clockwise (now). Tried with a tamper to add weight on the beans. Tried with a hopper and more beans. Tested the grind with my La Peppina and my Londinium L1. Same results every time.

One thing remains... Maybe it's cross threaded?
They grinder inside collar threads are a bit worn in some area although I don't see specific spot where it could be cross threaded. The top collar seems quite ok.

When I turn it to the right, the top collar doesn't drop down like my previous SJ and Fiorenzato did. At least there's no distinctive sound. But the threads eventually engage and I can screw it down all the way till the burrs touch each other.

Maybe someone with a different set of eyes can see something that I'm not seeing...

Without the upper burr carrier... the last thread doesn't engage. Normal?

I could purchase a 60 thread file and clean them up just to be certain. I'm just baffled because if the burrs do touch each other when I zero it out (they do, without a doubt), why won't it grind fine enough... :? Can the burrs touch and the adjusting collars still be cross threaded?
Unless the issue is voltage related?

So... conundrum...

Thanks in advance!
LMWDP #592

FinSimon

#2: Post by FinSimon »

Hi,
When the burrs are touching (zero), are they touching all way around, 360 degrees, or just touching for less than 90 degree turn? It so, the burrs are not aligned.
The shaft is not rotating in the right direction in the video, but from what i can understand, thats sorted out.

//Simon

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

I recall I have seen lefthand and righthand turn burr sets, for whatever reason..are you sure you have the correct set?
LMWDP #483

LObin (original poster)

#4: Post by LObin (original poster) »

FinSimon wrote:Hi,
When the burrs are touching (zero), are they touching all way around, 360 degrees, or just touching for less than 90 degree turn? It so, the burrs are not aligned.
The shaft is not rotating in the right direction in the video, but from what i can understand, thats sorted out.

//Simon
Hi Simon,
Thanks for your suggestions!
Yes the burrs are rotating in the correct direction now. This video is from a while back.

The burrs aren't 100% aligned although I did add a few tin foil shims to try to get them aligned properly. I will eventually complete the alignment process but even when not aligned, a super jolly should grind fine enough to choke any espresso machine.
After all, they don't come factory aligned when purchased new.
If that was the problem, my grind should be uneven. Not way too coarse for espresso...
LMWDP #592

LObin (original poster)

#5: Post by LObin (original poster) »

Marcelnl wrote:I recall I have seen lefthand and righthand turn burr sets, for whatever reason..are you sure you have the correct set?
Hi Marcel,
Yes I made sure to get a righthanded burr set.
LMWDP #592

Jake_G
Team HB

#6: Post by Jake_G »

What does the ink transfer look like on the upper burr?

The lower burr is seldom too far out of whack, but the top can do all sorts of things on the old Jolly...

I agree that if the burrs are able to touch, you should be able to choke an espresso machine. Unless you are grinding Folgers.

You're not grinding Folgers, are you?
LMWDP #704

LObin (original poster)

#7: Post by LObin (original poster) replying to Jake_G »

No Folgers. I only buy freshly roasted Tim Horton's coffee beans. Best canadian roaster. :wink:

I'll do the ink test on the upper burr tomorrow and post the results back.

Thanks!
LMWDP #592

LObin (original poster)

#8: Post by LObin (original poster) »

Sorry. Couldn't help myself...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y648w1RohLE
LMWDP #592

Jake_G
Team HB

#9: Post by Jake_G »

I am saddened by the 3 smiley limit.

This needs at least 12 to explain the full measure of just how "special" that was. :lol:
LMWDP #704

LObin (original poster)

#10: Post by LObin (original poster) »

Jake_G wrote:What does the ink transfer look like on the upper burr?

The lower burr is seldom too far out of whack, but the top can do all sorts of things on the old Jolly...

Alright.
Marker test #1 (no shims)

Marker test #2 (still no shims)

A few close up pics:

It's possible the top burr holder and adjustment ring are from another Mazzer SJ (Rio) that I had last year. I helped a fireman friend getting geared up at the station and gave them the rio with the newer ring that has the adjustment arm, as well as the taller collar burr holder with a screw for a tall hopper.
Even if these parts could potentially come from a different SJ, I doubt that's what's causing the issue here.
LMWDP #592