Mazzer Super Jolly completely stuck/jammed

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
mixuala

#1: Post by mixuala »

Hello, I bought a DOA Mazzer Super Jolly that is completely jammed--it'll be a steal if I can get it working again.

The motor does not turn and the upper burr carrier is jammed and cannot be removed by hand. The previous owner said he was pressing down on the collar to adjust and then next thing he knew the entire thing jammed.

I think my first option is to try to unscrew the upper burr carrier and remove. Any clever suggestions before I resort to brute force?

I was also wondering what happens if I use a socket wrench to loosen the hex bolt the the center of the lower burr. What is that attached to and if I loosen it will the motor spin freely detached from the lower burrs?

Jake_G
Team HB

#2: Post by Jake_G »

mixuala wrote:Hello, I bought a DOA Mazzer Super Jolly that is completely jammed--it'll be a steal if I can get it working again.

The motor does not turn and the upper burr carrier is jammed and cannot be removed by hand. The previous owner said he was pressing down on the collar to adjust and then next thing he knew the entire thing jammed.

I think my first option is to try to unscrew the upper burr carrier and remove. Any clever suggestions before I resort to brute force?

I was also wondering what happens if I use a socket wrench to loosen the hex bolt the the center of the lower burr. What is that attached to and if I loosen it will the motor spin freely detached from the lower burrs?
If the motor is seized, you could remove the lower burr carrier bolt, which would allow the lower burr carrier to be removed from the motor shaft after you remove the upper burr carrier, but from the sounds of it, that really wouldn't help you...

Below is a picture of my adjustment collar on my Super Jolly (I single-dose and use a 14g Gaggia basket as a cap):

And a close up of the spring pocket. There are 3 of these:

As long as the threads aren't crossed, I recommend squirting a penetrating oil into the threads at each of the three spring pockets and slowly working the adjustment collar back and forth until you get it to move clockwise (they are left-handed threads) far enough to remove the collar and the upper burr carrier. Depending on the upkeep of the grinder, it can get pretty nasty in there, but it should free up with gentle but persistence back and forth motion with a good penetrating oil liberally applied to the threads.

If the threads are crossed and/or galled, I think heat may be your only chance of getting the carrier out but I don't think you can just pick up an 80mm chaser tap to clean up the threads. It will be a much bigger ordeal if the threads on the body of the grinder are stripped...

Shoot a couple photos of your adjusting collar threads and down the throat if you get a chance. You can't remove the lower burr carrier until everything is removed from the top. Breaking the bolt free while the grinder is seized isn't a bad idea, but don't forget to tighten it before attempting to run the grinder... only after you get the upper burr carrier out will you be able to determine if the motor itself is seized.

Cheers and good luck!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

Advertisement
mixuala (original poster)

#3: Post by mixuala (original poster) »

Thanks for the reply. Here are some pics. I'll try with some wd40

#4: Post by mixuala (original poster) »

I put some 3M spray lube in each of the 3 spring pockets. I'll let it soak in and repeat a few times and then see if that does the trick.

But does anyone have the specs for the screw holes on the side of the collar? I may need to put in some screws to get added torque on the collar.

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

You do realize you must rotate the upper burr carrier CLOCKWISE to remove?
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

bettysnephew

#6: Post by bettysnephew »

M5 X .8mm pitch is the size on mine. My handle is about 50 mm long. Two bolts that size should give you ample leverage to loosen the top grind adjustment collar but I guess longer would work. And yes, as Eric said, it does loosen in a clockwise direction when looking at it from the top.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

#7: Post by mixuala (original poster) »

erics wrote:You do realize you must rotate the upper burr carrier CLOCKWISE to remove?
yes. it says that on the sticker...

Advertisement

#8: Post by mixuala (original poster) »

bettysnephew wrote:M5 X .8mm pitch is the size on mine.
Thank you. I found some VESA monitor mounting hex screws exactly that size. I've got them in and plan to alternate between some lube spray and gentle tapping with a hammer. It's still jammed, but I'll give the spray some time to soak in before I really push it.

BoatSalad

#9: Post by BoatSalad »

Would it be possible to use an automotive oil filter wrench like the one below to unscrew the adjustment dial? It might just give you the leverage you need to break it free.

sweaner

#10: Post by sweaner »

Maybe lay the grinder on its side and use a hammer on the adjustment collar screws that you have inserted. May just take a good whack!
Scott
LMWDP #248