Mazzer Super Jolly completely stuck/jammed - Page 4

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Jake_G
Team HB

#31: Post by Jake_G »

Great work!

Now, does the motor spin? :wink:

- Jake
LMWDP #704

bettysnephew

#32: Post by bettysnephew »

Did the motor run after the upper burr carrier was removed? If so clean it up and I think you will be golden. Those Mazzers are built to last.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

Advertisement
mixuala (original poster)

#33: Post by mixuala (original poster) »

It works perfectly. That turned out to be $150 well spent.

Now all I need to do is find a funnel-I have a doser in great condition minus the lid if anyone wants to trade...

wholemilklatte

#34: Post by wholemilklatte »

don't forget to set aside about an hour, ~50 q-tips and some paper towels ;)

nice job!

belegnole

#35: Post by belegnole »

Congrats on getting it unstuck.
LMWDP #641

Ganymede

#36: Post by Ganymede »

Congratulations on finally getting that collar open! I've been following this thread with real interest, because I think I have thread issues on my own SJ. I'm not **exactly** sure how things got this way, but after removing collar and upper carrier for a cleaning operation, I can't get the collar back threaded correctly. I had a horrible experience turning down what MUST have been a cross-thread, though I didn't realize it until I started bending M5 bolts while turning. Two very small gall points have appeared on the grinder body threads at the very top -- they look really small, but when I try to screw the collar in properly, it either wobbles and won't set, or it cross-threads.

Someone in this thread said that galled body threads were "a bigger ordeal." Um...may I ask how BIG an ordeal we're talking? Will a pair of small bad spots result in a totaled frame? Any advice at all would be appreciated...

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#37: Post by jwCrema »

mixuala wrote:It works perfectly. That turned out to be $150 well spent.

Now all I need to do is find a funnel-I have a doser in great condition minus the lid if anyone wants to trade...
I like the Mazzer mini funnel for the SJ so well I adapted it to my Major. Another option is to use a tamper or something similar in the throat for single/mini dosing.

Could you imagine if someone had told you to "put your grinder in the oven, bake until 140F put ice in the throat and your problem will be solved" as the first response to your need? Ha.

Advertisement
mixuala (original poster)

#38: Post by mixuala (original poster) »

jwCrema wrote:I like the Mazzer mini funnel for the SJ so well I adapted it to my Major. Another option is to use a tamper or something similar in the throat for single/mini dosing.

Could you imagine if someone had told you to "put your grinder in the oven, bake until 140C put ice in the throat and your problem will be solved" as the first response to your need? Ha.
Just to be clear for anyone else contemplating this trick, I baked to about 140F. Big difference. But I'm happy with what I got.

ira
Team HB

#39: Post by ira »

If you were to remove a couple of small spots of thread it would not hurt anything. If the body threads have an obvious get a scraper and very carefully track the thread at the bad point until it smooths out. it will likely remove some metal but you can't use a soft aluminum screw to fix the threads in a soft aluminum nut. Get them both clean with no high spots, then try to put them together. if it's not perfectly smooth, unscrew it until it drops and try again. If you ever feel any hesitation, figure out why before continuing. Essentially any force will only make it worse.

Ira

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#40: Post by jwCrema »

mixuala wrote:Just to be clear for anyone else contemplating this trick, I baked to about 140F. Big difference. But I'm happy with what I got.
Thanks for the catch. I corrected my original post so we're saying it twice for the next guy.