Mazzer rejuvenation / polishing advice

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
H175Driver

#1: Post by H175Driver »

Hello All,
I have recently purchased a 2018 Mazzer Mini Electric A and after a thorough clean, a new anti-static screen and gasket as well as fitting a set of lightly used 0033M Super Jolly burrs it is running fantastically. However, it has had a hard life at a well known UK coffee chain and the exterior is a bit shabby. My idea is to remove the scratches and scuffs and give it a good polish but not having done this before I wanted to double check that I was on the right path rather than making it worse!
I was thinking of using the following products from this UK store that would fit to my DeWalt drill. I would be grateful if any members could advise if these would be suitable for the Mazzer or suggest an alternative?
Thank you in advance.
Edward

Firstly for the scratches
https://metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/co ... e-180-grit

Secondly, this polishing kit for both Aluminium and stainless steel parts
https://metalpolishingsupplies.co.uk/co ... -2-pro-max

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

You should be able to make that kit work to some degree. If you have trouble you'll find the hard way that metal polishing is a bit of a dark art. Aluminum is easier than stainless at least.

Last time I stripped a painted mazzer grinder (and a sailboat mast) I think I found enough pitting that polishing was not going to work. So maybe be prepared mentally to go to the powder coaters and have an awesome color for about $100.

Wear a mask and good luck.
LMWDP #353

H175Driver (original poster)

#3: Post by H175Driver (original poster) »

Thank you for the advice! There is not too much pitting so fingers crossed the kit will work. I had thought about painting or powder-coating but at this stage I'm looking to keep costs down.

scott2s

#4: Post by scott2s »

You can powder coat the Mazzer's and it will turn out. You will need to remove the motor windings out of the housing first though. I've had a lot of luck bringing cast aluminum parts to a local metal polishing shop. Here is an older shot of a K30 I had buffed, it has about the same quality casting.

buckersss
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by buckersss »

Vim cream at the dollar store and a sponge or microfibre cloth. Don't use anything abrasive or you'll scratch it more.

In my experience vim has gotten watered down a lot in the last few years. It's still worth a try. I don't know of an equivalent cream based cleaner though. I'm sure there has to be one.

Maybe Wrights?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wrights-014-Si ... 53&sr=8-13

H175Driver (original poster)

#6: Post by H175Driver (original poster) »

buckersss wrote: Maybe Wrights?
Thank you very much. I'll have a look at that.