Manual fill valve need to be pressed in too far

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
nemesiss45

#1: Post by nemesiss45 »

I am restoring a 92' Rio Lever machine, and I filled it for the first time tonight after tackling the obvious problems, but the manual fill valve will not open by pressing the lever down. I had to put a screw driver under the arm to depress the piston further so the valve would open. are these adjustable? is there a difference in the arm from one machine to another? the arm was not connected when I got the machine, so there is the possibility that it was the wrong one... could have been form another machine.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Could the lever be installed upside down?

Pictures would really help.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

I found a parts diagram for the Rio group, make sure that part no. 24 the articulation for the lever is installed correctly with regards to orientation and the hole that the pin is inserted through. You could also make sure that the piston is fully screwed into the connecting rod.

https://www.cafeparts.com/Espresso-Mach ... roup-Lever
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

nemesiss45 (original poster)

#4: Post by nemesiss45 (original poster) »

Thank you for looking that up. I think i didnt describe it well. The part I am having an issue with is the water inlet manual valve, the lever on the bottom right of the base of the machine. I was playing around with it tonight, and I am wondering if it is a water pressure issue. I have the unit plumbed in a hose temporarily for testing, when I pulled the valve off to inspect it, it seemed to open fine, but when I hooked the water up, it would barely let any through... then I decreased the water flow, and the valve would let more water pass... now I just don't know if this is a malfunction or if this is intentional to protect the machine from damage .

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

Typically the line pressure feeding an espresso machine is regulated at 2-3 bars or so. Depending on the design of the valve, if your supply is at, say 5 bars, the force to operate might be twice what would be otherwise needed.

nemesiss45 (original poster)

#6: Post by nemesiss45 (original poster) »

Maybe that is the issue... the force to depress the pistons is not especially high... but maybe the water pressure is forcing something closed internally... I guess I will get a regulator.