Mahlkonig K30 Vario does not turn on

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Cristiano

#1: Post by Cristiano »

Hello guys! I need your help, if possible. My K30 Vario isn't turning on, I've already checked the plug wires (I didn't identify any irregularities), as well as I changed the socket, even so I wasn't successful. It does not turn on the display, nor does it start the motor through the button located below the dust outlet.

If you can help me find possible solutions, thank you very much.

Best Regards!

BaristaBoy E61

#2: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Have you tried resetting the button below the power switch on the back?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Cristiano (original poster)

#3: Post by Cristiano (original poster) »

I don't know if there is any default trigger sequence, but I've triggered it several times. If a standard procedure is required, please, I would like to know.

Thank you for your message.

Sw1ssdude

#4: Post by Sw1ssdude »

I had the same issue with my ditting (same model).

It was the power transformator that needed replacing...

Here you go:

Completed Ditting KE640 electrics repair report
Lean Mean Caffeine Machine

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Sw1ssdude wrote:I had the same issue with my ditting (same model).

Here you go:

I'll bet Sw1ssdude nailed it. After posting and awaiting an update, I looked at the schematic for the K30. The transformer was going to be the next step since the display was dead. However, trouble shooting the xfmr requires some troubleshooting abilities and a DMM.

However, OP posted:
Cristiano wrote:I don't know if there is any default trigger sequence, but I've triggered it several times. If a standard procedure is required, please, I would like to know.

Thank you for your message.
That would possibly indicate something else, as I would expect that a dead xfmr would just burn 'open' and not cause a breaker or 'safety' to trip unless something was shorted.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#6: Post by Cristiano (original poster) »

Sw1ssdude wrote:I had the same issue with my ditting (same model).

Here you go:

First, I would like to thank you for your message and, at the same time, reveal my lack of knowledge of Electronic/Electrical Engineering ehehehe.
As I live in Brazil, according to the transformer's references, I don't find him here.
What would be the main references I should look for to find a similar transformer in Brazil?
BaristaBoy E61 wrote:<font style="vertical-align: inherit;"><font style="vertical-align: inherit;">Isso possivelmente indicaria outra coisa, já que eu esperaria que um xfmr morto queimasse 'aberto' e não fizesse um disjuntor ou 'segurança' desarmar a menos que algo estivesse em curto.</font></font>
The button located on the back, above the on / off, even when pressed, it remains the same size (I don't know if this is normal), it goes back and forth without locking in any position. The movement is like a spring, always returning to the starting point.

Best regards!

Sw1ssdude

#7: Post by Sw1ssdude »

The button would click if it was triggered. Like a fuse with a reset function...

Testing the transformer is a bit tricky, but it can be done.

How much voltage does the brazilian electric grid have? 230v or 110v? The frequency does not matter (50 or 60 hz)

You need a transformer with the same size (it is a very common size) and two primary coils and one secondary coil. This would be a direct replacement. In my thread about the ditting k640 i had a single/single coil type, and therefore had to solder in a small jumper cable.

The original transformer is a ERA 030-7713.0

https://www.eratransformers.com/product-detail/25#

You need this one, or one with the same specifications, and you should be done. I couldnt find an original one, so i made another one work.

How good are you with tools? Can you open up the grinder?

I can guide you through, if you want.
Lean Mean Caffeine Machine

#8: Post by Cristiano (original poster) replying to Sw1ssdude »

Thank you very much for your contribution.
In my state the voltage is 220v. Unfortunately my skills with electronics is minimal eheheh but I got in touch with a colleague from another state and he will be able to help me.
I searched a lot for the transformer indicated by you, but I didn't find it in my city or on Brazilian websites.
Thank you very much for your attention and availability to help. I decided yesterday that I will send the grinder to this colleague so he can try to solve the problem.

Best regards!