Mahlkönig K30 not grinding

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
drgade

#1: Post by drgade »

My Mahlkönig K30 turns on but when i try to activate the grinder the grind does not start. I can turn on the grinder, and the menu is accible, but the grinder will not start. When i place my portefilter nothing happens. I have tried to take it apart and replace a fuse, but it did not change any thing.
Any suggestions??

Best
Soren

cyclezib

#2: Post by cyclezib »

Soren:

I have not used a Mahlkoenig, but the thought occurred to me that perhaps you have a bean caught and the burrs are stuck. Have you increased the coarseness setting to the widest and then tried to see if the burrs will then turn?

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

scott2s

#4: Post by scott2s »

Things to test out:
1) check the capacitor and make sure it is at the rated microfarad value
2) test the portafilter trigger switch - sometimes these can come out of adjustment or fail
3) Check wire tightness at the power supply board
4) Visually check power supply board for damaged components, replace if bad
5) If all above looks good then check motor winding with meter; check to see if voltage is being supplied to the motor when the trigger switch is actuated, and check thermal overload wires at the motor - these should show closed circuit with a meter at the harness when disconnected.

BodieZoffa

#5: Post by BodieZoffa »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:Probably power supply board.

https://www.mahlkoenig.us/products/k30- ... -100-120-v
That cost is a bit much. Yet another reason to avoid Mahlkonig.

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 replying to BodieZoffa »

I agree but if that's the problem it's either replace the board or sell the machine for parts.

https://ghgbs.com/products/power-board- ... 40a0&_ss=r
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

ira
Team HB

#7: Post by ira »

It's hard to tell much from that picture, but there are only 2 or 3 parts on the side of the that board I can see that are likely to go bad so if you can do PCB level repairs it might be worth $20 to try. As I can't see the other side, I might be way off. Can you show up pictures of the insides? Do you have anything to test with and are you comfortable doing that?

drgade (original poster)

#8: Post by drgade (original poster) »

Thx All

I will take the grinder apart (again) in this weekend, then i can provide pictures. I have a voltmeter that i can test with.

Best
Soren

ira
Team HB

#9: Post by ira »

Once we see pictures, maybe we can suggest some things to check.

Johnbenweber

#10: Post by Johnbenweber »

I just finished messing with a K30 twin that had a low voltage error. Would go into the menus but wouldn't grind. I have plans to put up a thread in mods on what I did to get it going (basically bypassed the control board) but I talked to the Mahlkonig distributor and their advice was either the power board was bad or according to them the controller board software can get corrupted and the only way to fix it is to replace all of the boards at once. That's ~$1000 worth of parts so not very attractive. I did go through the power board to diagram the circuit and replaced the rectifier, 5v regulator, and the current sensors with no luck.