LOUD rotary pump??

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jb-0101

#1: Post by jb-0101 »

Hey all,

I have an Izzy Alex Duetto 2, about 8 years old. It's a rotary pump, plumbed in, and it's LOUD! It's not a vibrating sound, as in I don't think it's vibrating against anything. I think it's the pump or motor itself.

When new it was quiet, then I noticed it get louder over the first couple of years I think. It's been this volume for a few years now, so I just got used to it. Then watching a video recently about the Alex duetto I realised mine was way louder than that.

Chris Coffee review, you can hear the pump at 7:30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzi5_SdUzPI

My pump: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWheSJigZlA

Any ideas on what might be causing this?? And more particularly how to fix it?

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Pressino »

Your pump is abnormally loud and produces a grating rather than a smooth sound. Could be anything from worn bearings and impeller vanes to scale buildup.

jb-0101 (original poster)

#3: Post by jb-0101 (original poster) »

Thanks, do you know of any info on how to diagnose and fix these? Video me or written tutorials or threads?

Thanks!

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Have you tried contacting someone at Chris' Coffee service department to get their take on it?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Pressino »

jb-0101 wrote:Thanks, do you know of any info on how to diagnose and fix these? Video me or written tutorials or threads?
Thanks!
The first thing you might want to look at is this video from Seattle Coffee Gear that discusses vibe and rotary pump design...it shows an exploded view of the rotary pump/motor construction. That will give you a sense of how you can take them apart to test function;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjdaqUso6wI

The first thing you will do is separate the pump section from the electric motor. Then if you energize the motor you can see how it works and liseten to the sound it makes while spinning. I'm going to assume the electric motor works OK. The next thing to do is manually spin the pump section,which will require some sort of screwdriver or other tool. The pump shaft should turn freely without any drag or catches. From the sound of yours I suspect it will not. To find out what the problem is you'll need to open the pump and have a look inside. Could be a lot of things wrong, such as: 1) limescale gunking up the works; 2) Worn impeller vane pins; 3) Crud that got rapped in the pump innards; 4) Worn shaft bearings.

The best situation will be the motor works fine and there's a problem with the pump. Not sure if you can get repair parts for your pump (like the ones you can get to repair, say, an E61 group head. If so that may be the cheapest way to fix it. Otherwise get a new pump for (usually) about $200+/-. :|

brianinoc

#6: Post by brianinoc »

Had the same problem on my Alex Duetto a few years back. On mine it ended up being the pump. I had my pump rebuilt by JC Beverage Company (https://jcbeverage.com) for $56.50.

chonski

#7: Post by chonski »

95% sure I have the same issue with a ~9.5yr old Rocket Evo and a Fluid-O-Tech pump.
Have had all the sides off and have run the pump whilst pushing on the motor mounts to see if the motor / pump is touching anything, but can't see anything vibrating to cause the noise.
It pretty much happened overnight too. Not there one day and there the next. No gradual increase.

DIY question - for anyone that's done it, is there much to swapping the pump out?
I know enough to service the e61 mechanism, replacing all springs, pins, etc, but haven't touched any of the electrics or anything in the water path
Assume I need to drain the boiler or are there 1 way valves taking care of water?
Then get the clamp off the motor, unscrew inlet/outlet valves and replace?

JRising
Team HB

#8: Post by JRising »

chonski wrote: DIY question - for anyone that's done it, is there much to swapping the pump out?
I know enough to service the e61 mechanism, replacing all springs, pins, etc, but haven't touched any of the electrics or anything in the water path
Assume I need to drain the boiler or are there 1 way valves taking care of water?
Then get the clamp off the motor, unscrew inlet/outlet valves and replace?
Yes, it's that simple. You don't even need to drain the boiler, just take the pump off when the machine is cold and unpressurized.
Before taking the pump out... For the one of you with the Rocket, there's a clear-plastic inline filter. If it's clogged it is causing partial vacuum at the pump inlet and that makes a pump loud. Flush out that filter and blow compressed air backward through it to make sure it offers no restriction to flow. Pulling the silicone hoses off of that filter is even easier than taking a pump off of a motor.

For the Izzo,I don't know where the mesh filter is, I don't think I've ever had to clean one. Sorry. And the parts break-down doesn't show it.

Maybe an Izzo owner will say something.