Looking for repair or restoration source - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
BaristaBoy E61

#11: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

That's great Roy, keep posting updates on your progress!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

drgary
Team HB

#12: Post by drgary »

Sometimes lack of crema is from grinding too fine. As a guideline you don't want to be pressing the lever harder than 30 lbs. This can be measured by putting the Cremina on a bathroom scale.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ramassen (original poster)

#13: Post by ramassen (original poster) »

Looks like good things I ordered the seals kit.

The darn drip was back today.

A question for those that have ventured this direction before. It looks like there are two way to approach the lever part of the machine (top & bottom). I figure better to replace the part that is not working and not screw up the other part at this point if I can.

Looking online it seems that the part where the portafilter attaches can be unscrewed (but does not seem like that will go easy). I wonder if that is the end that I would need to work on. The top has three nuts that could be removed but then I don't know if the whole lever part lifts up?

I have been searching but have not found where anyone has documented this actual process online. If anyone has and idea or lead I would appreciate the coaching.

Roy

PS That pesky drip or not I did get a good shot but little crema today. And nice foam on my milk. Will travel today to get to a shop where I can get some fresh coffee to hopefully get a better crema. It looks like the beans in market here sit a while.

#14: Post by ramassen (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Sometimes lack of crema is from grinding too fine. As a guideline you don't want to be pressing the lever harder than 30 lbs. This can be measured by putting the Cremina on a bathroom scale.
17.8 on my scale when I push down.

#15: Post by ramassen (original poster) »

I am venturing far beyond my experience level here so have a couple questions.

The leak returned and I noticed some moisture around the glass window So decided to get going on this repair. Good thing as evidenced by the corrosion under the cover for the window.

Since I order the seals kit and it has the glass seals I have started into that area while it is on the bench. I lost one post removing the cover but have a few extra in the parts David got from Italy years ago. But in those parts from Italy there is a window seal that is thicker than to two that came in the new kit. It doesn't seem to be rubber, more of a metalic type finish on it. It is the same height as the part of the glass that is smaller and protrudes up into the opening in the cover. So not sure which would be best to use.

The old seal on top of the glass around the protrusion that I just removed looks more like the black rubber on in the kit I just got (just a little thinner than the new rubber one).

It looks to me like I need to try and remove the glass next. Seems to be some sort of seal behind it between it and the boiler and is pretty stuck. So I fear Breaking the glass. I Have a glass that came from Italy but it does not have the protrusion that fits into the cover? It also seems to have a small dimple on one end from both sides that does not go all the way through.

Another question is regarding the rope type things that look as they are coated in a metallic oily type substance. Are these some sort of seal for other parts of the machine?

All feedback is greatly appreciated, Roy

#16: Post by ramassen (original poster) »

Got the window out successfully. Found it had a larger protrusion on the back going into the boiler

Maybe the glass window from Italy was for a different model.

Next step carefully remove the broken bolt. Figure I will let some penetrating oil work for a couple days before trying to back it out, Roy

drgary
Team HB

#17: Post by drgary »

Those are studs, and they look like they're not stainless. You might want to measure them and replace them all with marine grade stainless steel of the same metric thread pitch and length and then slather them with anti-seize compound. I hope you can get them out with vise grip pliers. If they are hard to move, applying heat might help break up the rust, and hopefully there isn't galling of the disparate metals where they attach.

It would be great if you can clean up and reinsert the sightglass. Is the rim around the sightglass part of the glass or is it an attached gasket? If it's a rim, it looks like they provided you with the later model, but that should also work if it is fastened down to a gasket to create a watertight seal.
Gary
LMWDP#308

#18: Post by ramassen (original poster) »

Gary,

The sight glass looks like it is all one piece including the rim. They even ground a little in the rim to make room where the studs are. I will try heating the stud next. (Penetrating oil has been on it for24 hours and no movement). Will search for stainless studs.

Some good news, with the piston out I can really see into the boiler. Besides all the corrosion on these pins, etc. it looks pretty clean and the heating elements look great. So will not take that area apart since there were no leaks I could see from it. But I might have to when I fire her back up after all I am doing...

Roy

drgary
Team HB

#19: Post by drgary »

Does the replacement sightglass have borders extending as far as the ridge on yours? I don't think that the size of that window changed when the later model had fewer studs.

Also, I would be careful with that string, which seems to be old fashioned gasket material. It may contain asbestos.
Gary
LMWDP#308

#20: Post by ramassen (original poster) »

Gary,

Yes the replacement glass would fit if I needed it but will try to use the original for now.

I figured it was the old stuff used for gaskets but thanks for confirming. Had never seen anything like it before. Will wrap in plastic but keep with all the other stuff incase someone would appreciate the history of it with the machine someday. Love the Italian wrapping paper around it.