Looking for repair or restoration source

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ramassen

#1: Post by ramassen »

I have a 1958 Microcimbali which needs some restoration. The person who left it to me was a mentor who meant a Great Deal to me and I hope to get it working again. I know he took very good care of the things he had. As I understand he always drained it after using. And cosmetically it is in good condition. From the little I can se looking into the boiler I can not see corrosion. I found letters and a variety of parts he purchase from Officine Cimbali Giuseppe S. p.A. back in 1977 in case they were needed. (looks like extra sealing material, a glass window and bolts with nuts) Do you do this or know of anyone that does.

There are two things I notice wrong after not being used for many years.

#1 When I was filling with water the water immediately drips out where the portafilter attaches even before turning on. After heating and trying to make a coffee it did not get better. I do not see any other leaks and it heats fine. I can pull a shot but the dripping is a pain and messy

#2 The electric cord is old and cracked so needs to be replaced.

#3 I also noticed in the brochures he kept that there was an option to hook up to a water supply instead of filling manually where the big black knob on top is. I would like to find this part and learn more it. Does this really works? And I wonder how you could drain it after each using that way if that is important?

Any info or lead is appeciated

ramassen (original poster)

#2: Post by ramassen (original poster) »

I am trying to post a photo of my machine and accessories

http://www.artechweb.com/cimbali.jpg

Tried inserting the location after hitting the image tab but it says does not allow offsight images. Hope someone can tell me what to do, Roy

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Welcome to HB Roy.

Very nice machine, in good condition too.
Perhaps only some piston seals need to be replaced along with the line cord.

Perhaps you can contact Orphan Espresso for parts, service and guidance.

https://www.orphanespresso.com
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

That's an early model in superb condition, and with all of the original manuals and accessories to make it collectible, a great way to remember your mentor. Here is where Orphan Espresso sells the seal kit. You could also contact Francesco Ceccarelli. The Ceccarelli site will display as "unsafe" because he hasn't updated to https. It is legitimate. I've linked you to a page that shows parts and repair instructions. These are generally self-service, although you could contact Stefano's Espressocare in Oregon if you want to send it out for servicing. Ask if they have the parts. They don't list them, but servicing levers like that, if undamaged, is routine. I know because I restored one, although it had damage I also had to repair, unlike yours.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#5: Post by ramassen (original poster) »

Thanks for the leads. This machine will have a special place in my new kitchen, Roy

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Roy, the Microcimbali pulls excellent espresso and steams well. Unfortunately, if you use it much, especially as a "daily driver," it is hard to empty out all of the water. Its boiler is particularly prone to corrosion. I wonder how much your mentor actually used it. My point is that if it were my machine it would be mostly a display piece that I might use occasionally. But that's me, and you may have different preferences or not want to spend for additional gear. Just for basics, do you have a good espresso grinder to pair it with?

Back to your original questions:

If you have extra seals, they may still be pliable and can be used. It may not need more than that.

When restoring vintage levers like this I bought power cords at local hardware stores that were capable of easily carrying the maximum amount of current supplied with the machine. I figured out how to replace them. You may also want to check the rest of the wiring.

It was designed to be plumbed in. If they had only built it with a stainless steel or brass boiler, you could use it regularly. But they didn't, so it has that weak point, and as I mentioned above, there are nooks and crannies in that boiler that tend to stay moist even if you use the water drain tap.
Gary
LMWDP#308

#7: Post by ramassen (original poster) »

Drgary,

I also received his Braun electric bean roaster & Melita bean roaster with the MicroCinbali

He was serious about his coffee....

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

We have a very active roasting forum here, if you want to dive in. But watch out, a small roaster like that can turn into upgraditis!

What was the field in which you were mentored, if you're able to share that with us?
Gary
LMWDP#308

#9: Post by ramassen (original poster) »

drgary wrote: But watch out, a small roaster like that can turn into upgraditis!

That a $10 word ;-) love it.

What was the field in which you were mentored, if you're able to share that with us?
First mentor was in business years ago. But later in my life I met the man who left me these wonderful things who had many life skills that he shared with me before he passed. David filled a lot of the holes that were left from when my the father died in my teens. Truly a blessing.

#10: Post by ramassen (original poster) »

Great news today!

I got her re-wired today. No more circuit breakers popped and heated fine.

And when I filled her with water No Drops like before. I ordered the seals kit from Orphan espresso but hope I will not need them now...

Next thing is to find the rights beans and grind to get a good crema. The shot I pulled tasted ok but no crema. I ground it on the next to finest setting but tomorrow trying the finest on some new beans.

Thanks for the support here, Roy