Livia 90, how can I adjust the pump pressure?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
oneman

#1: Post by oneman »

Hello,

This is my first post to the forum. A few years ago I suspected the pump in my Livia 90s was beginning to fail, so I ordered a replacement from Amazon, the Ulka EAP5 Vibratory Pump. The new pump has worked fine since installation, but over time I've concluded that the flow/pressure through the brew head is too strong, and no matter how fine I grind my coffee, the water flows quickly through the portafilter and the resulting shot is watery. Other than this the machine works fine. Is there a way to adjust the pressure or flow of water through the brew head?

Thanks in advance.

hankbates

#2: Post by hankbates »

The EAP5 pump will generate about 12.5 bar with no flow, and your over pressure valve (OPV) is usually set around 9 bar, usually considered optimum for most espresso extractions.
I think you need a finer grind (perhaps a better grinder), and not an adjustment to the OPV.
You can adjust the OPV by accessing a collar in the top of the OPV assembly, but I'd correct the grind first.
Some people rescue dogs and cats, I like to rescue Livias…

randytsuch

#3: Post by randytsuch »

I built this a long time ago to set my OPV
https://randytsuchcoffee.blogspot.com/2 ... gauge.html

Pretty sure pressure was over 9 bar and I had to adjust it down. You could even try lower pressures and see how you like it.

But, you should still be able to grind fine enough to have a slow shot, so maybe there are other issues too.

Randy

oneman (original poster)

#4: Post by oneman (original poster) »

I've been using the Rancilio Rocky grinder for years, is this not good enough?

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

Have you changed the burrs recently?

If not, I'd consider a new grinder if you have the budget. Hand grinders suitable for espresso start in the $100-200 range with powered grinders that I recommend starting around $400. The Rocky was great in its day, but grinders have improved significantly in the past decades.

pcofftenyo
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by pcofftenyo »

Hey-
I had a Rocky grinder briefly with the Livia but wasn't ever able to get a fine-enough grind.

At the time the best option was a Mazzer but now you can get a Baratza Sette that works-I've run this combo pretty well. There are some shims included with the Sette that I never installed but would probably be a good Idea to use.

I also adjusted my OPV.

Upside is that I ran the Livia for 20 years-AT LEAST 4 shots every day for 20 years. It never failed me.

oneman (original poster)

#7: Post by oneman (original poster) »

I changed the burrs earlier this year.

oneman (original poster)

#8: Post by oneman (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Have you changed the burrs recently?

If not, I'd consider a new grinder if you have the budget. Hand grinders suitable for espresso start in the $100-200 range with powered grinders that I recommend starting around $400. The Rocky was great in its day, but grinders have improved significantly in the past decades.
My Rocky is currently set to 4, but I would agree that the output could be finer. What would you recommend if I were to replace it?

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

I recently posted some grinder recommendations at Advice: Upgrade from Rancilio Silvia

Hand grinders like the 1ZPresso J-series, the Kingrinder K6, and the 1ZPresso K-series are a less-expensive option and work well up through what I call "medium" roasts and espresso grind levels -- basically anything sold in the US as "for espresso". With "filter" roasts, they can be a bit jarring to grind to espresso fineness, but work well for filter-level grinding with these light roasts, even from the roasters known for "ultra-light" roasting.

hankbates

#10: Post by hankbates »

I have been using a Baratza Sette 270WI for about 5 years with my Livia 90 and am really pleased with the combo.
Some people rescue dogs and cats, I like to rescue Livias…