Lelit MaraX- Does not heat up

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Marc01

#1: Post by Marc01 »

Hello,

I bought the MaraX in September and have had absolutely no issue before, but this morning the machine would simply not heat up. I changed the water and ran some through the group head hoping it would solve the problem if caused by air being trapped inside the thermosyphon. The machine does not heat up at all and does not build up any pressure in the gauge. Any idea what might be causing the problem?

Marc

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

Check the Safety Thermostat first.

MC032 on top of the boiler has a little button on top. (UNPLUG THE MACHINE) If it clicks when you push it, then you've just reset it. Plug back in and see what happens.

If that's not it, does the element light (Right side facing the machine) turn on when the power light (Left) is on?

Advertisement
Marc01 (original poster)

#3: Post by Marc01 (original poster) »

I've located MC032, but it doesn't seem to have a button to push. I'm not sure what light you are referring to. The machine only has three lights. All are working as expected, except the machine doesn't heat up. The power light is solid. The water level pilot light is solid. The Heating pilot light is flashing, but the machine isn't heating up. Thanks for your help.

Marc

slipchuck

#4: Post by slipchuck »

If the reset isn't the problem

I would try to reposition the tank as it might be sitting a certain way that is telling the machine it's out of water.
If this doesn't help it might still be the tank switch which you would have to ask someone with more experience then me to help you test it

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Marc01 (original poster)

#5: Post by Marc01 (original poster) »

I've taken out the tank and refilled it already. I doubt it has to do with the tank though as I am able to draw water from the group head and that seems to work fine. Yesterday, the machine was heating up well which makes scale less likely to be the issue. It makes me wonder if the heating element itself might be out. Any thoughts?

Marc01 (original poster)

#6: Post by Marc01 (original poster) »

I guess we're out of suggestions. I'll have to bring it back to the seller for a check up. I'm feeling fairly bitter about it as this will be the second time I have to take the machine back in 3 months. My pressure gauge was leaking the first time I turned the machine on. Talk about bad luck..

JRising
Team HB

#7: Post by JRising »

I have opened a MaraX to have a look inside. Mine is quite different from the generic Mara diagram I posted above. Yours may be different still, but let's hope a couple pictures are worth a thousand words.

Mine turns out to have 2 safety thermostats, one for the phase and also one ofr neutral. On mine they're black plastic and the buttons are an almost brown-grey.

Here the phase safety has brown and black wires in yellow insulators. The neutral one has white and blue wires in white insulators.
The button is the little thing between the copper terminals. UNPLUG before touching it, it won't move if it isn't "popped". If it does move/click, you've reset it.

This brings us to:
You say the element lamp is blinking along properly as the machine should be heating, so the PID control is working. If the safety t-stats aren't popped, then it comes down to suspecting that the element is burnt out on your new machine. Sorry, but I'm glad it's still under warranty.

Advertisement
Marc01 (original poster)

#8: Post by Marc01 (original poster) »

Thank you for these photos and suggestions. Both safety thermostats were in good position and didn't click. I'll let you know what they find after taking the machine to the shop. Thanks

Marc01 (original poster)

#9: Post by Marc01 (original poster) »

Turns out it was the heating element. What a bummer. The retailer did fix it quickly though. Any thoughts why that might be? I empty the boiler monthly to freshen up the water, but immediately refill it with 1 min on/off cycle to save up the pump. Could that expose the heating element and burn it out?

JFDUP

#10: Post by JFDUP »

Well I just got my brand new machine yesterday and it's doing the exact same thing as yours this morning...i'm gutted!