Lelit Glenda - help with no grouphead flow!

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Itakeyoureggs

#1: Post by Itakeyoureggs »

I bought lelit pl41plust machine about 6-8 months ago and then due to circumstances I did not use it for ~4+ months. I did a back flush clean but did not empty the boiler before putting away but overall 50-100 shots pulled. Upon returning to the machine when I was going to clean it again there was no water coming from the group head, but when I opened the steam wand water came out just fine.

So I first unscrewed the shower screen and cleaned that area nothing looked to be clogged, but I couldn't really see well. Also I checked the tube exiting the solenoid valve and it was dry.

Next, I attempted a descale using dezcal. I let the solution sit in the boiler for about 2 hrs and then flushed it out of the wand. I descaled about 3 times, after the first 2hr descale I let the solution sit about 20-30mins in the boiler. I saw a video from gaggia about trying to unclog the solenoid valve by flipping the steam switch and coffee switch. Since my machine has different buttons/toggles I tried to imitate this action by flipping the toggle from coffee to steam every couple of seconds during the descaling process. The liquid coming out of the wand wasn't really discolored, possible a light greenish tint but by the third run it was pretty much clear. I have some speckles of something glittery in the water throughout. I don't remember seeing any large clumps of scale maybe some tiny pieces after the first run.

The gaggia video said it would probably take 2-3 runs to work. I do not know if my machine is different or if it functions differently and attempting this method is pointless. So, I decided to try and directly access the solenoid valve. The way this machine is built has the power cord almost covering two screwheads that would allow me to take off the siding to get direct access to the valve. Currently I am waiting for my order of a low profile angled screwdriver.

My questions with my limited amount of knowledge are, am I going about this process correctly? Did I diagnose the problem as probably being a clogged solenoid accurately? Does the gaggia method of switching from steam/coffee work for other machines and was I just impatient? If the method does work, how do I it on my lelit Glenda? Taking apart the Glenda is a lot of work with the positioning of the screws, am I missing a clear/easier way of accessing the guts? (I can submit some pictures if there is confusion)

I hope I didn't ruin my machine letting it sit for a couple months. :/ Let me know if I can provide more information or clear anything up that may be confusing since I am a espresso machine newbie.

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Welcome to H-B!

Did you purchase it new, or was it used? If used, do you know how it was maintained?

JRising

#3: Post by JRising »

<Heavily Edited after checking what a Lelit Glenda was>
If you can't hear the solenoid brew-valve opening and closing when the pump is on and you toggle between water(middle position) and Brew (Low position of switch), check if the solenoid is energized, you should be able to feel its magnetic field change. I would use a magnet wrapped in silicon hose, but use whatever you have afailable. If you don't have anything insulated, be very careful, obviously, not to touch uninsulated parts of wires or element connections or any conductors.
If it is energizing but not opening and closing, you can probably just open and clean it.

patcof1

#4: Post by patcof1 »

In this Lelit insider channel you can see many useful technical videos. There is also a video explaining how to disassemble a PL41PLUS.
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOIaPtg ... Z6Q/videos

Itakeyoureggs (original poster)

#5: Post by Itakeyoureggs (original poster) »

I bought it new. Pretty much only a handful of uses.

#6: Post by Itakeyoureggs (original poster) »

Unfortunately that model looks really different than mine on the inside. I was checking it out before I opened my machine up hoping the solenoid valve would be easy to access, but it is on the very bottom covered by a lot of metal, and screwed on oneside and connected with a hose on the other.

#7: Post by Itakeyoureggs (original poster) »

I have tried listening for the solenoid valve but the thock of the toggle switch being flipped is incredibly loud unless that is the sound of the solenoid switching. When you say put a magnet to the valve do you mean when the machine is on try and dangle a magnet onto it or when the pump is actively running try and put a magnet on the valve?

JRising

#8: Post by JRising »

It depends how close you can get to the top of the valve, if you can safely approach it with a screwdriver tip without being anywhere near any electrical connectors, then just feel for the magnetic attraction with a screwdriver tip. In tight situations a magnet in a silicon tube (so it can't touch anything electrical) is a safer option than a metal screwdriver tip, the magnet will jump toward or away from the valve when the coil energizes.

patcof1

#9: Post by patcof1 »

Itakeyoureggs wrote:Unfortunately that model looks really different than mine on the inside. I was checking it out before I opened my machine up hoping the solenoid valve would be easy to access, but it is on the very bottom covered by a lot of metal, and screwed on oneside and connected with a hose on the other.
In this video the technician is completely disassembling a PL41PLUST.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ABdhCfBQ2U
Are you saying that the machine in this video is really different from your machine?

#10: Post by Itakeyoureggs (original poster) »

My apologies I am an idiot, I was previously watching a video from the lelit channel. When I clicked the link I must have also clicked something else and went back to my previous video.

I am going to disassemble the machine to get to the solenoid after my finals this week. I don't believe I hear any additional thump other than that of the toggle switch.

I also tried touching a screwdriver head to the valve and it does seem to lightly stick to the valve and a little stronger in some areas. It's not like super magnetic but it does seem to take a bit of additional force to move off the valve.

I reassembled my machine and am currently letting vinegar sit in the machine overnight before flushing. Will dissemble according to the video if this doesn't work.