Help Lelit Elizabeth v2 boiler refill issue

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Dooglyn

#1: Post by Dooglyn »

Hi

I've recently purchased a lelit elizabeth v2 and its been a huge step from the upgraded gaggia I had previously. Makes fantastic coffee and the dual boiler is awesome for workflow and numerous coffees.

But it seems to have some form of issue, it was making a loud groan noise when refilling the boiler at the start of the cycle like something was constricted or sticking maybe?

Ive stripped back and descaled all 3 solenoids thinking it may have been a sticky solenoid. The noise is rarely present now but instead when refilling it will continue pumping unless the machine is turned off and on again.

The tank level stays the same while the pump is running and water is coming through the second line back into the tank.

My thoughts are either the main 2 way solenoid is not functioning correctly or the tank level indicator is not functioning correctly. Does this sound likely and does anyone have some tests i should run before pulling it apart again?

Many thanks any suggestions would be massively appreciated

Dooglyn (original poster)

#2: Post by Dooglyn (original poster) »

I pulled the machine down again this afternoon to check some bits and pieces and i believe i have it narrowed down to 1 of 2 things. Either the solenoid between the brew and steam boiler or the steam boiler level probe. Symptoms described above seem to be persistent when the steam is used.

Leaning more towards the solenoid but any advice would be great.

While the pump was running displaying the mentioned symptoms i accidently blocked off the tank return line and the line circled in the picture popped off, which would indicate water isnt getting to the steam boiler and rules out the level probe?

And that may be the culprit behind the noise as well?

Advertisement
JRising
Team HB

#3: Post by JRising »

You've determined that the pump is running because it wants to fill the steam boiler, but, for some reason the water isn't filling the boiler, it's exiting through the OPV...

If you're comfortable testing inside a live machine, confirm a few things. Rule out what the problem isn't.

If you know which wires are which... First confirm that the boiler-fill is working properly... While it's trying to fill, take the wire off of the boiler fill probe and ground it for six seconds. If the machine stops trying to fill the boiler, then electronically it is working properly. (It's just a high frequency 4.5 volt signal, it can't electrocute you). Reconnect the wire to the boiler level probe.

You could simply take the tubing out of the boiler side of the boiler solenoid valve, put a dish rag there to catch water if it does come through and turn the machine on. This will determine if water is getting through the solenoid valve. If it is NOT, then put that hose back, take the hose out of the other side, aim it into a cup to determine if water is getting to the boiler solenoid. The result of these tests will confirm whether or not you have to give the valve more attention.

Tracing backward if water was not getting to the solenoid valve, similar checks could be done at the Tee fitting on the brew-boiler. And if that tee fitting is not clogged, it's possible that the OPV is simply shot and passing all water despite a lack of pressure.

Dooglyn (original poster)

#4: Post by Dooglyn (original poster) »

Hi Jrising,

Thanks for the tips. I pulled the top cover off this afternoon and as luck would have it struggled to get it to display symptoms....

In saying that i can confirm evel probe seems to be functioning perfectly. When the tank is filling it is doing the job it id supposed to.

While testing the solenoid with the boiler filling line out everything was working perfectly.

Worth noting I replaced the opv valve also with a 9 bar when i first purchased the machine, so unlikely it is that.
At one point the loud groan came back ~5 secs and im pretty certain it was coming from the solenoid.

I will buy some more coffee and run it for a few days until it plays up again and go from there.

Also i happened to remove a plumbing taped chopstick that i had used to block the steam boiler fill point while
The boiler was still under pressure. What a show lol