Lelit Bianca - Steam Boiler Over Pressurized - Page 11

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#101: Post by Bluenoser »

hangry_barista wrote:is there any consensus as to which water SHOULD/CAN be used in the bianca to avoid this issue entirely?
im in NYC, seemingly decent water, but my building pipes result in harder water (staining on glass/silverware if unwiped)

i was planning to use TWW espresso packets to start, then eventually distilled + Potassium Bicarb
I used RO+TWW(espresso) and had quite a bit of copper corrosion on my plated-mushroom.. after 2.75 years. .. I'd go straight to distilled and POBiCarb.. (also my steam gauge stopped working because I assume the thin copper tube from boiler to gauge is plugged with corrosion)

hangry_barista

#102: Post by hangry_barista »

were you using TWW espresso blend, or regular? i recall reading something about the regular blend leading to corrosion due to addition of chloride

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#103: Post by Bluenoser »

Highflyer wrote:So with the probe replaced 125 reading 1.5 bar 1 week down again I can see this erratic behaviour before anything can be said to water it's just tap water 60 TDs passing through Brita filter which is 1 week old ...now I know you guys are doing an amazing job but the problem if it's only water is not solved ...what else can be done any suggestion

Now I flushed it twice parameter are becoming stable but now I can see that at 125 it's reading 1.7 bar . Believe me I'm very careful about the machine and take out max 5-7 shots per day

The water which comes out of the machine is around 65 TDs ( if that helps )

What I want to know if the tww did cause these problem what else should I check now and please I request don't say water because if this how sensitive the machine is going to be I rather sell it

Should I descale would that help ? Or should I again call tech support ? It's just that I want to know how to rectify this problem permanently
Any chance the probe's wire is wire-tied (bundled) into other wires that might be causing some interference. Really a left-field chance.. there are differential and single-ended probe wirings.. if single-ended, and if it was near a wire where large current was changing, maybe there is some interference.. To check you could ensure the probe wire is loose as it goes from boiler to Gicar.. see if that causes any change.. Just a thought.

Highflyer

#104: Post by Highflyer »

Nope no problem their just checked ...but have flushed the boilers twice and it's started showing 1.5bar for 125 degrees again .. and working normal

This much I have seen that if you flush the boilers it fixes the problem immediately at least for next few days to few weeks or so .

So I would request if this could be found out why exactly this solves the problem at least temporarily

1st-line
Sponsor

#105: Post by 1st-line »

hangry_barista wrote:is there any consensus as to which water SHOULD/CAN be used in the bianca to avoid this issue entirely?
im in NYC, seemingly decent water, but my building pipes result in harder water (staining on glass/silverware if unwiped)

i was planning to use TWW espresso packets to start, then eventually distilled + Potassium Bicarb

Jim @ 1st line - what do you usually recommend to your NYC customers who live in apartment buildings?
thanks!
Sorry, as I mentioned before, if I had the perfect water, I would definitely be int he water business.

NYC has good drinking water, but not good water for espresso machines as we have seen in customers machines. This is the issue, water may be good for coffee, or even espresso extractions, but not the best for the machine. This is why Lelit hired a water expert.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

1st-line
Sponsor

#106: Post by 1st-line »

So, this earlier week, we had one customer with a machine that overheated on the steam boiler and coffee boiler. Machine was purchased in Dec 2020. Boilers were descaled. However, steam boiler was never overfilled to full descale PID sensor on top of boiler. Customer authorized use of these photos.

As you can see there was corrosion on the PID sensor - not fully. On all overheats of machines with PID sensors, I have seen most cases with partial corrosion.

However, customer re-installed the PID sensor 'as is with corrosion' because he did find a connection (red/blue wire) at the brain unit that was partially connected. Not sure if it happened in shipping or at manufacturing.

After full insertion, overheating stopped at the steam boiler.

So, we may have multiple causes - corrosion and/or wires that are not fully connected.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#107: Post by Bluenoser »

Corrosion would cause a reading lag.. but not erratic readings.. I have no experience with this type of sensor but it seems unlikely that a small film of corrosion would cause the sensor to delay enough to cause an issue. No matter how much corrosion its eventually going to be exactly the same temp as the steam boiler.

But when I look at the picture.. and look at the stakes to the right.. I"m wondering about 2 potential problems.. One is that they don't seem 'bright and shiny'.. Now that machine may be a few years old.. and you really can't tell from the pic.. but is there some green/brown film on the stakes? That certainly would cause a connection issue.. There are some greases designed for 'damp' connectors that can help repel water..

One last guess is the size of the stake versus what the connector is expecting.. If the stake is slightly smaller in its profile than what the connector is expecting, you will get a very weak connection that will work fine when new.. and then quickly fail as it is not making a 'gas tight' grip on the connector and if some moisture (damp air) is getting in there.. that might be a problem..

Does anything have a chance to vent inside? 'cause it looks like those stakes without a connector might be exposed to water. Try the connector to see how tightly it seems to grasp those stakes.. (might be hard to tell if the plastic housing is a tight fit as all you'll feel is the friction of the plastic housings on the connector.. ).. When you get more issues.. try just looking at the connector stakes and reconnecting a few times to fix before cleaning sensor and, ideally, clean with a good contact cleaner.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
slipchuck

#108: Post by slipchuck »

Is it just this model or are there other machines that do this too?
Seems rather odd if it's just Bianca

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

bzarycranski

#109: Post by bzarycranski »

Similar issues happened with the Lelit Elizabeth I owned.

Bill

slipchuck

#110: Post by slipchuck » replying to bzarycranski »

Seems like Lelit is the common thread
Has anyone tried switching out the lelit sensor for another brand?

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”