Lelit Bianca - Steam Boiler Over Pressurized - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
another_jim
Team HB

#11: Post by another_jim »

You can change all the options in the regular menu; but don't change things in the PID menu unless you know what you are doing.
Jim Schulman

Highflyer

#12: Post by Highflyer »

Thanks so much :D

Yup just planning to keep steam temperature around 128 degrees and pre infusion for some coffee , water temperature is 95 itself ..hope this should be ok ..once again Jim thanks so much !! Was really worried with machine just being few months old and an expensive investment

Highflyer

#13: Post by Highflyer »

Ok the problem is creeping up again and this time at factory normal menu settings ( btw sorry Jim I just got confused I have never entered those other settings don't even plan too not that technical :) )

But anyways these are the things I have observed

1) This generally happens when machine is cold and started after 6 hours or so .

2) Room temperature is around 15-17 degrees that time as its in my study and I generally keep the heat off when I'm not their

3) After around brew temp starts blinking 95 ( let's say around 10-15 min and steam starts building up ...it slowly first reaches at normal 1.7 bar but after few minutes all this circus starts where if I push the + sign to check steam and brew temperature both go weird ... The brew temperature jumps to something like 99-100 and the steam temperature keeps jumping around 125---129---134-138-127 -129 ( you get the picture ) and so does the steam pressure it goes beyond 3 but I don't see any steam escaping from anywhere and then the needle starts creeping even further down ..

4) Then to rectify the situation I just switch on the lever and let the water come out of group head and yes the water coming out is not steams but big bubbles forming into small streams

5) Now after all this the Blinking stops and 95 C becomes constant and then and only then the pressure starts reducing and also if I press the + sign the temperature reading starts matching the pressure for
the steam and group ahead also starts showing the overshoot of temperature accurately . So basically even with temperature set 95 brew temperature is showing 99 or a higher figure

6) after all this by 30 min everything settles down and now the machine is ready to pull shots and reading become accurate

another_jim
Team HB

#14: Post by another_jim »

You may be overthinking it. E61 machines usually take 35 to 40 minutes to warm up; the Bianca does it in 20 because it overheats during the startup. This is not a defect; its a feature -- after all you are not meant to be steaming or making espresso while the machine warms up. Also do not flush during warmup; it cancels the warmup sequence, and you'll be sitting with a too cold machine for the usual 40 minutes (at least on V1 of the control software; I'm not sure about V2).

The + indicator shows the raw temps during this accelerated warmup and they will show overheating. On the brew boiler, it overheats to warm the group, so the readings change will go up to 110C, then come down. The steam side PID is critically damped: so during warmup, it will also overshoot and hunt before settling in. If the steam pressure gauge is steady, and doesn't go above about 2.3 bar at any time, you are good there too.
Jim Schulman

another_jim
Team HB

#15: Post by another_jim »

I just got a comment on my youtube channel mentioning the same high steam pressure during warmup (also at 3 bar)

I'll reach out to Lelit to find out what gives. Stay tuned.
Jim Schulman

another_jim
Team HB

#16: Post by another_jim »

Jim P at First Line says his service department has been getting a lot of this for all models of PIDed machines. Please read the sticky I posted.
Jim Schulman

Highflyer

#17: Post by Highflyer »

Oh great thanks will try this !

Highflyer

#18: Post by Highflyer »

Still Not working ...so its been random ..sometimes everything goes normal and sometimes this happens

Highflyer

#19: Post by Highflyer »

another_jim
Team HB

#20: Post by another_jim »

When you see this, try the steam wand. If the boiler is at 127C, you'll get the usual steam pressure; if it is really at 4 bar (ca 150C) you'll notice the difference in steam pressure. In either case, the vendor says this it's not the startup, but a problem with water compostion.

In general -- Don't use distilled water or very low mineral water in contemporary espresso machines, they corrode electronic components. If you are mixing your own water, especially using the packets from some third water whisperer, always use a TDS meter to check the result -- one minor oops, and you'll have 1/10th or 10 times the minerals you want.
Jim Schulman