Leaking hot water tap on open

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
jimocallaghan

#1: Post by jimocallaghan »

Hello,

I've an issue on a Sanremo Capri dual group espresso machine where the hot water tap is leaking from the valve (when I pop the front off the plastic knob water is dripping out there) - this only happens when the valve is in the open position and seems to vary based on whether there is an lateral pressure on the knob - would anyone be able to advise if this is a common issue (oldish machine, maybe 15 years, recently put back in to use after a long sabbatical), and if it's a simple fix with ex. a new washer (and level of difficulty in disassembly / reassembly) , or if the entire valve needs replacing? Many thanks.

JRising
Team HB

#2: Post by JRising »

Take the valve apart and get a look at its seals. If it's leaking up the shaft, it's obviously not the valve face, it's the o-rings on the shaft. Either replace them with same-sized ones from a hardware store or contact your dealer and get the correct ones. All valves need to have their seals replaced from time to time.

Possibly this very valve:
https://www.cafeparts.com/Espresso-Mach ... Water-Taps

jimocallaghan (original poster)

#3: Post by jimocallaghan (original poster) »

That's perfect, thanks JRising. My plumbing skills are next to non-existent but I think even I can manage this.