La Spaziale S1 Mini Vivaldi II Brew Boiler Overheating

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
drill_and_phil

#1: Post by drill_and_phil »

Hello everyone! I searched around and couldn't find answers on this, so looking for tips:

I have a 2010 La Spaz Mini Vivaldi II that has been serving us well since we purchased it. I've replaced the vibe pump in it in the past without issues, but found that the brew boiler would overheat between consecutive shots. In the past, the machine was fairly temperature stable and wouldn't produce the amount of steam and water with a flush between shots. Other DB machines I've used (QM67, LMLM) don't do anything like this...The first shot seems to be at the right temperature based on taste. After it, the recovery is all wonky and the machine seems to overshoot quite a bit before cooling back down to proper temperature.

Visions Espresso in Seattle took a crack at fixing it (the machine was my parent's at the time) and they did a ton: replaced Triac circuit, heating element, vacuum valve pin, safety valve. I replaced the brew boiler temperature probe with a replacement from Clive but that did not resolve the problem. When my parents took it back to Visions to have it checked, they were told it is operating within spec... Needless to say they got fed up and purchased the LMLM and the machine was not re-serviced.

Does anyone have any tips? I've already tried adjusting the offset and setting the brew boiler temp with limited success. Thanks in advance!
LMWDP #661

jmotzi

#2: Post by jmotzi »

Hi Philip,

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are saying here:
"In the past, the machine was fairly temperature stable and wouldn't produce the amount of steam and water with a flush between shots"

The steam boiler and water boiler are completely separate and there is no connection between the two. Yet you are having issues with both steam production and water temperature?

The overheating of the brew boiler is something you are observing via the temperature indicator lights? How much is it overshooting the set temperature?

Sorry to have answered your question with more questions :)

I have the S1 Dream which is a similar machine except plumbed-in and a different control interface. I bought mine at Chris' Coffee and they have always been helpful with technical questions. Even if you bought it elsewhere, you might ask them for help.

JM
LMWDP #662

Advertisement
drill_and_phil (original poster)

#3: Post by drill_and_phil (original poster) »

Hey JM,

Thx for the reply! This is all in reference to the brew boiler - the brew boiler in flushes produces steam and water runs through it very quickly.

Overheating is something I have not measured but it is mostly through visual observation in cooling flushes. I don't have a Scace to measure the amount of overshoot, but it seems excessive. If I run around 4 oz of the hot water through the grouphead, this does cool it down, but this seems excessive to me in a DB machine.

And thanks for the feedback on CCS! I'll try giving them a call tomorrow :)
LMWDP #661

downy_ball

#4: Post by downy_ball »

I'm curious about this too. I have a Spaziale Mini also and can make consecutive shots to my heart's desire, that is until I need to refill the water reservoir.

:wink:
Next time someone's teaching, why don't you get taught..."

jmotzi

#5: Post by jmotzi »

drill_and_phil wrote:...the brew boiler in flushes produces steam...
That's crazy!
LMWDP #662

drill_and_phil (original poster)

#6: Post by drill_and_phil (original poster) »

I re-checked my offset this morning since I thought I'd changed it fairly low in the past. It was set at -4 C, so I arbitrarily decided to go to -7 C. This seemed to have helped with the overheating between consecutive shots. I'll try to find a Scace to borrow so that I can set this better, but I'm happy that it's moving in the right direction :D
LMWDP #661