La Scalla Butterfly Switch Keeps Failing - Page 5

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
ira
Team HB

#41: Post by ira »

Then the white wire is likely the one that needs to turn on the light, what does the box say it is?

Ira

daviddecristoforo (original poster)

#42: Post by daviddecristoforo (original poster) »

Here's a pic of the box.

The thing is, I don't think this is intended to be a "power on" indicator because I don't remember it being always on when the machine was powered up. That light was on the switch. So maybe this is a low water indicator or something like that? If so, I don't need it because the machine is direct plumbed and the water tank was removed long ago to make room for the rotary pump and motor. Since my new toggle switch does not have an indicator light, I wired this up as one. That leaves the wires in question hanging loose. I can drill another hole and add another lamp if it's needed but if the machine will work properly without one, I'd just as soon not have it there.

ira
Team HB

#43: Post by ira »

I would guess the white wire can be disconnected with a note reminding you where it cam from. the blues likely need to stay connected and be insulated. Or, since you're pretty much passed the point of no return, you could just replace the blue with a new piece of wire without the junction.

Ira

#44: Post by daviddecristoforo (original poster) »

Would it be ok to leave them as is and just cap them with insulators? Or would it be better to add another lamp? Do you have any idea of what the function of the lamp was in the first place?

Ps thanks for all your help and advice. I don't think I would have made it this far without it.

ira
Team HB

#45: Post by ira »

It's connected to a terminal marked lamp and seemingly controlled by the controller so I'd guess it's either heat on or needs water. Since needs water would require a relay I'm guessing it was heat on. But maybe someone who knows more about Gicar boxes and reads Italian can help with the translation.

And FWIW, it's been a pleasure helping you, sometimes I go down this path and get afraid someone might kill themselves.

Ira

JRising
Team HB

#46: Post by JRising »

I don't actually read italian, but I recognize the words I see every day.

EV (electric Valve) GRUPPO1: Group 1 solenoid brew valve
Lampada: You know this one.
EV CARICAMENTO: Electric Valve Boiler Fill valve
POMPA: Pump
RISCALDAMENTO: Heating Element
COMMUNE CARACHI: Neutral Common, like the white wires in North America and the blue wires in Europe.

I'm having fun snooping in on your progress with this. I don't know what the lamp is supposed to be telling you, either, but good luck. You're getting close.

#47: Post by daviddecristoforo (original poster) »

Well I have another machine to use so I have been able to circumvent thoughts of suicide! I think I'm just going to put another lamp in even though I have no real idea of what it's for! In for a penny, in for a pound as they say and really, what's one more hole? If this is a low water indicator I might never see it light up since the machine is direct plumbed. If it indicates low water in the boiler it might light up every now and then. But at least I'll know that everything is connected correctly.

Alan Frew

#48: Post by Alan Frew »

This is the ex factory mapping:

This assumes standard 3 pin 220v 50hz power supply.
For Butterfly jumper pin in hole on top of box must be removed, leave in for Eroica.

10 pin side:

5 free

Earth Tasto Group 1 bridged to Earth SRif-GND
Brown Tasto Group 1
Earth SRif-GND From here, long wire to RH tank electrode, earth to boiler, earth to machine base frame.
LH Tank Electrode SL MIN Black woven sheathed wire
Boiler level fill Electrode SL MAX White woven sheath wire

7 pin side:

3 Blank, 1 Free
White Evgruppo2 (boiler fill solenoid)
Orange Evcaricamento power
Red POMPA Pump
Grey Riscaldamento heating element, overtemp thermostat.
Black Power
Blue Power

Since you have a plumbed in setup Earth Srif-GNd and SL Min should be connected to each other, and maybe you need the jumper pin in as for the Eroica?

Alan

#49: Post by daviddecristoforo (original poster) »

My machine is a 120v not 220. I don't know if that makes any difference. But I don't really understand what you are saying! I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff but electronics is not one of my strong points! I don't see any thing labeled "SL MIN". I can only tell you that the machine worked just fine until the relay was removed. Up until the point, that is, where it needed a new pump and control box after 18 years of use. That's when they removed the relay.

Alan Frew

#50: Post by Alan Frew »

This is the actual control box supplied by laScala in the Butterfly/Eroica machines.

Alan