La Peppina trips out RCBO

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
JimRash

#1: Post by JimRash »

Hi,
I recently inherited a La Peppina - 220V / 1100W.
I had been enjoying using it daily for a few weeks, when I went and started it with no water and tripped the RCBO.
It looked like the automatic safety ejector mechanism had not triggered.
I assume that the heating element has burnt out and will need replacing?
I checked it over, and visually it looks OK - I checked the resistance of the element, and it is about 42.8 ohms, which is what I would expect for a working heating element (Should be 44 = 220*220/1100).
Is there anything else that could be causing the the RCBO on my fuse box to trip?
Do I need a new element?
Thanks

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

What's the resistance to ground measure? The RCBO will trip if it detects an uneven current on each supply / return conductor due to a ground fault. This stray current could also be a shock hazard.

I've never had my plug eject on my La Peppina, or any problems at all with my element so far, but I don't believe that the ejection mechanism is all that reliable, especially with these old machines.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

JimRash (original poster)

#3: Post by JimRash (original poster) »

Thanks for the info.
How do I measure or check these?
What's the resistance to ground measure? The RCBO will trip if it detects an uneven current on each supply / return conductor due to a ground fault.
I have very basic knowledge of electricty, and have a multimeter.
Thanks

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Just check the resistance from one element to the metal of the socket that the plug fits into and check the other element too just in case it's different. You should see it say something like OL (Open Line) or be blank and you should not see a low resistance which would indicate that you have leakage from the center conductor of the element into the water. Oh, yeah, you should make this measurement with water in the tank.

Also see this old Orphan Espresso Tech Tip available via Archive.org for more info including baking shorts out of heating elements.

https://web.archive.org/web/20230420180 ... 620-1.html
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#5: Post by JimRash (original poster) »

Thanks for the info,
measured those, and they are saying 0.
So it doesn't look like there is a short anywhere.
Bit of a head scratcher.
Regards,

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

If it reads 0 like when you hold the meter probes together then you've got a dead short and a problem. If it reads blank or OL (Open Line) like when the probes aren't touching then that's good.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#7: Post by JimRash (original poster) »

Hi, Chris,
It is "reading" blank - I don't think my multimeter reports as OL.
Anything else that could be causing the RCBO to trip?
I've plugged it into different sockets on different RCBO's.
Replaced the fuse on the cable.
Thanks

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

In that case there's probably a small amount of leakage current to ground that your multimeter isn't capable of reading that's triggering your RCBO. I would recommend looking closely at the terminal ends to make sure that it looks clean and well insulated, and you could try baking your heating element as described on the previous link but if this doesn't stop your RCBO from tripping you may need a new element to solve this issue. An electric repair shop may have a Hi-Pot testor or Megger that could measure the leakage with the element, but this would likely only verify what your RCBO is telling you, that there's a ground fault issue.

This is assuming that you have tried the La Peppina on other RCBOs and that you've verified that the RCBO works properly with other appliances.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#9: Post by JimRash (original poster) »

Hi, thanks for the info,
yes I've tried off another RCBO.
Will try the oven method - one of the white collars on the terminal end is loose - is that a possible source of the issue?
regards

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

I don't think the loose white collar would be a problem unless there's a big enough gap to cause a short to the housing when the element is in place. Those collars are electrical insulators designed to prevent shorts.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272