La Pavoni Wiring

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
JPS

#1: Post by JPS »

Hello,

After a rebuild I think my wiring is wrong. With the switch (red I II and white 1 0) turned off the coil is still heating.

Attached is photo of how I have it wired.

Help appreciated.

John

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

Really hard to decipher which wire is going where in these pictures. I suspect you may have it right but have a defective switch.

If it's hooked up as in this annotated version of your pic then I think the wiring is probably ok but the switch contact is bad.

R1 is the wire from the cord that powers the red switch
R0 is the other wire to the red switch that makes the light work
WL is the wire from the white switch behind the I side
WH is the wire from the white switch behind the II side

To see a logical circuit diagram that explains how this circuit works:
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

To sanity check these before plugging it in you can connect an ohmeter across the neutral and live prongs of the cord plug. Then...

With red switch off, and white switch in either position you should see no continuity
With red switch on and white I side depressed you should see about 60 ohm (for 110V 200W element)
With red switch on and white II side pressed you should see about 15 ohm (for 110V 800W element)
Pat

JPS (original poster)

#4: Post by JPS (original poster) »

THANK YOU. Will check this and get new switch.

John

JPS (original poster)

#5: Post by JPS (original poster) »

Hello again,

What color should each of R1 and RO be? Black or white? If it matters?

John

homeburrero
Team HB

#6: Post by homeburrero »

JPS wrote:What color should each of R1 and RO be? Black or white? If it matters?
You can't rely on wire color much, even on factory wired machines so in a sense it doesn't matter. If you want to follow wire color good housekeeping conventions you would run black from the cord to R1, then use either black or brown, maybe red for the other wires on the live side of the load (WL and WH). Then use white or blue for the neutral side (RO, and those other unlabelled wires on the neutral side of the elements.) The jumper wire on the middle pins of the switch is live, so by convention it would be black, brown or red.
Pat

JPS (original poster)

#7: Post by JPS (original poster) »

Thank u. I will leave it like it is until the new switch gets here and try it.

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

There is rust developing on the inside of your base. Over time, that can do significant damage. In addition to rewiring I suggest that you treat the rust with a high temperature rust-coating paint.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!