La Pavoni Pro copper/brass restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
aabra1

#1: Post by aabra1 »

Took everything apart.
Trying to deal with the boiler and the base first.
The boiler is solid copper and base is solid brass. Not plated magnet does not stick to any parts except for lever.
I used chemical paint stripper to remove the lacquer or what is left of it.

It came right off easy.
Boiler did not seem to have any lacquer coat on it.
Base did.
Base seems to have some other coat or maybe it is a shiny brass that was under lacquer vs. brass that did not have lacquer cover. (see the picture.)

Can you recommend what to do with the base?
Should i just lightly sand it with 400 grit paper to achieve the uniform surface and then polish it with polishing compound?

And the boiler.
Should i just try to polish it with polishing compound without sanding?

After I separated the boiler from the base parts of the old top and bottom boiler gaskets got stuck on the base.(see the picture.)
Chemical paint stripper did not lift them.
What is a good way to remove the remains of the boiler gaskets?
Just scrape it off with a razor?
any other suggestions?

aabra1 (original poster)

#2: Post by aabra1 (original poster) »

anyone knows what is the red sticky stuff around pavony pressure switch nut that is connected to heater plate.
It looks like some sort of red sealer. it is sticky not solid.
I am installing the heater back. Is that sticky substance necessary or i can clean it up.

Sw1ssdude

#3: Post by Sw1ssdude »

You can find a lot of different compounds for copper and brass.

an easy household copper cleaner is table salt, that you mix with vinegar or lemon juice so that you end up with some sort of paste. basically wet salt. you then rub that onto the copper like you would rub marinade on some spareribs. this brings back the bare copper, and will show you tough dirt stains wherever the copper stays brown.

Another lesson i once learned is to clean stuff thoroughly before you do anything with it, so wash it with a soft sponge and dishwasher soap, to get rid of any grease, coffee oil, fingerprints, kitchen grease, leftover paintstripper etc. A very clean surface is where it all starts with.

the brass might be galvanized with another kind of brass alloy, which is more resistant for discoloring. I found that citric acid for descaling alway brings out a nice shine in both copper and brass, but this is basically etching, not cleaning, but you'll see where there is already bare brass, and where there is lacquer, or dirt on the brass.

If you look for a mirror finish, you should be able to find a suitable compound, remember that copper and brass is soft, so use fine compound, and if you want to sand it down (remove lacquer, remove galvanized brass etcetc) use fine grit, or you might getting deep scratches which take forever to buff out.

Also, be aware that if you dont clearcoat it, both will discolor quite quick, especially the boiler.

For boiler gasket, i usually scrape it off with a stanley blade in a very acute angle, basically shaving it off. you can also put a sandpaper on a very flat surface, like a glass table, and grind the gasket flange in a circular motion, to achieve a very flat surface.

Dont forget to take a picture when you're done!
Good Luck.
Lean Mean Caffeine Machine

redbone

#4: Post by redbone »

An easier but most likely not cheaper method would be a soda blast or other media similar to sand but not as harsh. This was used on the Statue of Liberty on copper cladding.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

That restoration will look great if handled well -- meaning I would go slowly and aim toward a mirror finish. The clearcoat should dissolve with lacquer thinner.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

aabra1 (original poster)

#6: Post by aabra1 (original poster) »

finished the restoration.
Did not put clear coat on it. Let's see how color will mature.

grog

#7: Post by grog »

That came out looking gorgeous!
LMWDP #514

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

That looks terrific! Robert Pavlis had a polishing cloth with a small amount of pilish and would keep his looking like that without clear coating.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

guijan12

#9: Post by guijan12 »

O wow, it's very beautiful again!
Thanks for sharing and enjoy the use of it. :lol:
Regards,

Guido

redbone

#10: Post by redbone »

Great results. What methods and materials did you employ?
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549