La Pavoni pre millennium water delivery issue

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Alfa Romeo

#1: Post by Alfa Romeo » Oct 06, 2019, 11:08 pm

Machine has stopped taking in water when raising lever to pull shot. I have to strain lever back to get a trickle of water through the portafilter and head. No pressure gets built up. I have tried de-calcifying to no avail.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

ojt

#2: Post by ojt » Oct 07, 2019, 12:28 am

Take the grouphead apart and see what's up. If it was a machine from around 2000 I'd say it could be a loose piston (the ryton piston tends to unscrew). Otherwise disassembling, cleaning, changing gaskets should help. It could be a clogged siphon tube for example.

Are you using hard water?
Osku

ojt

#3: Post by ojt » Oct 07, 2019, 12:43 am

You were given the same instructions 4 years ago. Did you ever really follow through?
Osku

Alfa Romeo

#4: Post by Alfa Romeo » Oct 07, 2019, 1:08 am

Yes I had the machine serviced. I thought I'd try doing it myself if I got some helpful instructions. Thanks.

Alfa Romeo

#5: Post by Alfa Romeo » Oct 07, 2019, 1:18 am

ojt wrote:Take the grouphead apart and see what's up. If it was a machine from around 2000 I'd say it could be a loose piston (the ryton piston tends to unscrew). Otherwise disassembling, cleaning, changing gaskets should help. It could be a clogged siphon tube for example.

Are you using hard water?
Yes I took the grouphead apart, and I replaced the gasket. There's some crystallization around the siphon tube that draws the water from the boiler. I tried decalcifying with vinegar and then with citric acid but it did not break down the crystals. It made no difference in the operation of the machine.

Alfa Romeo

#6: Post by Alfa Romeo » Oct 07, 2019, 1:20 am

The machine is from 1998

ojt

#7: Post by ojt » Oct 07, 2019, 2:50 am

Well do you know if it has a ryton / plastic piston or not? If it does, it is likely that would be unscrewed again.

What water are you using?
Osku

Alfa Romeo

#8: Post by Alfa Romeo » Oct 07, 2019, 11:26 am

Thanks for your help response.

The water is a little hard but not terribly. I use triple filtered city water.

I don't know about the Piston. Nor do I have a clue where to look and find out. I will do some research about where the piston is and how to determine if it's plastic.

Alfa Romeo

#9: Post by Alfa Romeo » Oct 10, 2019, 12:14 am

I soaked the siphon tube in citric acid for a day until it turned copper color. I cleaned the group head and still it doesn't draw water or create pressure. I guess I'll have to send it out to be serviced again, which is a major drag. The search is on for a replacement espresso machine. Something more affordable than a La Marzocco!

ojt

#10: Post by ojt » Oct 10, 2019, 12:28 am

Alfa Romeo wrote:I cleaned the group head
Since you had the group apart (I suppose) for cleaning, did you check which piston you have, and also change the group gaskets?
Osku