La Pavoni Europiccola steam boiler over pressure

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
pint07

#1: Post by pint07 »

My La Pavoni Europiccola (Millennium) is having an issue where about 5 min after being turned on, the safety valve opens and spews out steam. I need some help diagnosing what the most likely cause is.

Things I've tried/replaced so far:
  • I did the thing where you knock the safety valve with something. This will make the safety valve "reset" and it'll stop for a few minutes. Then maybe two min later, it starts again and the knocking doesn't work at this point.
  • I replaced the safety valve. Issue persists.
  • I removed the pressurestat and inspected. I didn't see any calcium buildup in the opening to the pressurestat, nor in the pressurestat pipe leading from the boiler. Both looked clean.
  • I noticed the thermostat was loose from the base of the boiler, so I got some thermal paste, removed the thermostat, cleaned it off, and reapplied thermal paste and reattached it. Didn't work.
  • A few weeks before the problem started, I had done an almost full gasket replacement and descaled the machine. Only gaskets not replaced were the boiler gaskets and the steam wand knob gasket.
I know that the reset switch on the thermometer is broken. So first guess is that's the most likely culprit. Second guess would be the pressurestat? But I would think it would show signs of calcium buildup inside if that were the issue. Any ideas?

ojt

#2: Post by ojt »

I'm gonna guess the pressurestat itself may be failing. How old is the machine? I think that is quite a cheap part to change and from what I hear they do fail after a certain amount of use. Would be useful to have a pressure gauge on the boiler for diagnosing.
Osku

pint07 (original poster)

#3: Post by pint07 (original poster) »

Not sure age of machine honestly. I've had it about 5 years. It's seen heavy use in that time. I was trying not to have to replace pressurestat if possible, just bc yes the part itself is relatively cheap ($50), that does mean I'll need to get a pressure gauge and fitting for the gauge so I can adjust the pressurestat. Which takes the repair up above $100 easily. May have to just do it though...

ojt

#4: Post by ojt »

This is from italy but it's 9.90€ and apparently already set to 0.8bar:

https://www.lamacchinadelcaffe.com/term ... avoni.html
Osku

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

pint07 wrote:...I'll need to get a pressure gauge and fitting for the gauge so I can adjust the pressurestat.
If it's just to set the pressurestat, you could attach a tire gauge to the steam wand with a short length of brake line and two hose clamps.
Dan Kehn

guijan12

#6: Post by guijan12 »

pint07 wrote:....
[*]I removed the pressurestat and inspected. I didn't see any calcium buildup in the opening to the pressurestat, nor in the pressurestat pipe leading from the boiler. Both looked clean.

... Second guess would be the pressurestat? But I would think it would show signs of calcium buildup inside if that were the issue. Any ideas?

Did you try to blow through the pipe leading to the boiler, to clean it from calcium blocking it from the bottom of the boiler?
Regards,

Guido

pint07 (original poster)

#7: Post by pint07 (original poster) »

guijan12 wrote: Did you try to blow through the pipe leading to the boiler, to clean it from calcium blocking it from the bottom of the boiler?
I did not. Ive already ordered a pressurestat and thermometer, but ill try that when i get home.

guijan12

#8: Post by guijan12 replying to pint07 »

And....? :lol:
Regards,

Guido