La Pavoni Europiccola Repair - Page 7

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
MenloParkMom (original poster)

#61: Post by MenloParkMom (original poster) »

Progress update! A friend with the right tools got the broken "c clamp" or whatever that part is called out along with the gasket. New gasket is in along with gold ring with 4 holes. Now just need a replacement for the part that broke and full assembly can begin.

forbeskm

#62: Post by forbeskm replying to MenloParkMom »

Very nice! Hard work is done.

#63: Post by MenloParkMom (original poster) »

OK, finally coming back to this project to finish the home stretch...honestly don't think I have the muscle for it. Trying to reinsert the piston but can't get past the fresh gaskets that flare out properly to push the piston all the way in.

Any tricks for me?

pcrussell50

#64: Post by pcrussell50 »

It's not a muscle job, it's a finesse job. Make sure that first piston seal is lubed, then work around it with something dull like a butter knife or a credit card, flattening the offending seal while exerting light insertion pressure. It should eventually start going in.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#65: Post by MenloParkMom (original poster) »

Thanks Peter...mineral oil was the trick so got the piston in.

I ended up with extra parts. For the life of me I can't remember where the copper part came from.

Right now I have a gasket up where the piston is and assume this basket/filter goes up there with another gasket around the outside...correct?

What about the other parts?

ira
Team HB

#66: Post by ira »

If you look at all the pictures you took you should see where that part came from as I think I remember seeing it on an earlier page. At least I remember seeing the copper pipe. I believe the small silver piece is part of the bearing for the lever, but having never seen a La Pavoni I might be wrong, just hard to imagine something that shape is anything else.

Ira

pcrussell50

#67: Post by pcrussell50 »

The bushing goes in the lever handle.

The copper "dipper" tube screws into the back of the group bell and points down into the water tank like a straw.

The steel basket goes up into the group bell bare. The elastomeric gasket/ring gets pressed up into it and holds the steel basket in place. This is best accomplished by locking in the portafilter, which then presses the gasket and basket into place.

HTH

-Peter
LMWDP #553

#68: Post by MenloParkMom (original poster) »

Almost but not quite...water comes out now. I must not have the gasket sitting correctly because I cannot insert the portafilter snugly. Coffee water and coffee grinds started leaking out the top of the portafilter. Cooling down now to try to the basket and gasket correctly in place. Hoping I have hte right basket/filter for the portafilter and that is not the problem.

#69: Post by MenloParkMom (original poster) »

Hopefully this is the final reply before I can shout CREMA. I think that the filter is the wrong filter even though it matched a millenium filter I bought and then returned because it seemed like I had the right one after all.

#70: Post by MenloParkMom (original poster) »

I DID IT! I DID IT! I DID IT!

Turns out I was trying to tighten the portafilter too far as in full quarter turn. When I didn't crank it so hard the portafilter stayed attached properly.

I have pulled my first espresso. I wish I could say i got crema - just thick espresso but hopefully experimenting with the grind and some practice I'll actually to great crema so I don't need milk anymore.

Thanks to everyone who provided any piece of advice during the journey which in total took nearly 6 months.

Cheers,

Patrina