La Pavoni Concorso 1 Group Restoration

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
kitt

#1: Post by kitt »

I thought i'd share some pic's of my latest restoration project.After months spent searching European online auction sites looking for a Urania or similar to restore, i came across this listed right here in New Zealand.I'm very excited to be working on it, it's a rare Pavoni Concorso, also known as diamante.It's a result of a design competition Pavoni had back in 1956.It looks a bit shinier in the pics than it actually is, there will be some re-plating, dismantling is going well so far

zeb

#2: Post by zeb »

Just one thing, wow :shock:

Very happy for you Mike ;)

Pascal

benhogan

#3: Post by benhogan »

that is such a CLASSIC. La Pavoni has tried to revive the Diamante. They now carry the "Blue Brand" which is the diamante lines. Sadly.... no lever.

see here: http://www.lapavoni.it/home_bluebrand.asp

Cant wait to see your progress. Post lots of pics please.

leicaism

#4: Post by leicaism »

kitt wrote:I thought i'd share some pic's of my latest restoration project.After months spent searching European online auction sites looking for a Urania or similar to restore, i came across this listed right here in New Zealand.I'm very excited to be working on it, it's a rare Pavoni Concorso, also known as diamante.It's a result of a design competition Pavoni had back in 1956.It looks a bit shinier in the pics than it actually is, there will be some re-plating, dismantling is going well so far
wow.. Beautiful.
This machine is my favorite. :o
Joe

Paul_Pratt

#5: Post by Paul_Pratt »

That's my all time favourite...

To content myself I should have a similar machine (components, boiler and group) coming soon. Drop me a PM and we can swap parts sourcing tips.

Paul

kitt (original poster)

#6: Post by kitt (original poster) »

Cheers guys, it's been one of my favourites for ages too, i can't believe it turned up for sale here in NZ :D
benhogan wrote:that is such a CLASSIC. La Pavoni has tried to revive the Diamante. They now carry the "Blue Brand" which is the diamante lines. Sadly.... no lever.

see here: http://www.lapavoni.it/home_bluebrand.asp

Cant wait to see your progress. Post lots of pics please.
Will post more pics, i had seen the diamante pics on NZ distributor site and wondered what was going on...
Paul_Pratt wrote:To content myself I should have a similar machine (components, boiler and group) coming soon. Drop me a PM and we can swap parts sourcing tips.
Cheers Paul, it was your lambro build that got me hooked on levers in the first place.Will send you a pm, but i don't think there's much available in the way of parts and i imagine i'll be custom making alot of seals/gaskets.I restored a Pavoni P67 which had a slightly later lever group - that used astoria lever parts so maybe this will too (haven't got that far yet)

ulrikmo

#7: Post by ulrikmo »

What a great find, Mike!

Not many of these beauties for sale, especially in NZ it must be a true treasure..

Congrats, hope the resto will be fun :D

Boiler mounted group, it seems, and interesting with the 2 heating elements, guess you can have a quick warm up and let it idle with just one element active.

Looking forward to more pics!

OT: Mike did you find out what PF fits the Conti Empress, besides the original? I am thinking of going naked, but would like to avoid cutting in the original..

Cheers

Ulrik

borat

#8: Post by borat »

A fantastic find Mike! Now that's a talking piece to have on your kitchen bench.... :)

kitt (original poster)

#9: Post by kitt (original poster) »

ulrikmo wrote:Boiler mounted group, it seems, and interesting with the 2 heating elements, guess you can have a quick warm up and let it idle with just one element active.
I think the pressurestat is a mod, originally would have been emissions valve and a switch set at either 1 or 2 elements.The big weight on top of the boiler would release excess pressure.

I never had a Conti Empress original portafilter, but used a few standard Faema E61 type portafilters with it.It's a very common portafilter with ears at 3 and 9 o'clock

Here's a couple of more pic's from todays tear-down;Frame is 2 heavy aluminium castings with only the central front frame being steel

Boiler, some bolts survived, some didn't.All will be replaced.Same with element studs.Both elements are 650W

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#10: Post by orphanespresso »

Great score Mike! Now tell me, do you have an extra 3 ear portafilter? We have a 3 group Concourso with 1 original 3 ear pf, one 3 ear that I have to grind to fit, and still needing one more. The 3 group is the heaviest object which I own now that we got rid of the piano...needs drip tray and grate fabrication and a few knobs sourced to match from other machines but will be one huge project once I find that last portafilter.
Nice to see that you are getting right into it as our 3 group has been in storage for about 3 years as I dither on the portafilter issue.