La Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux won't turn on (lights flash briefly)

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Bjorge

#1: Post by Bjorge »

Hi everyone

I recently encountered a problem with my La Nuova Simonelli Musica Lux that I can't seem to fix easily. I was hoping someone here could help me, or had encountered a similar problem.

Problem:
When I plug in my machine and turn on the main power switch, the secondary power switch on the control panel at the front flashes every ~5 seconds to indicate it's plugged in. This is standard behaviour, and indicates that until that point, nothing went wrong. When I want to turn on the machine by pressing the secondary button at the contorl panel, nothing happens. Normally, all the control panel lights should turn on and the machine should start heating. If I keep this power button pressed down, all the control panel lights flash very briefly every second or so. It seems the machine wants to boot up, but immediately shuts down again.

What I've tried:
Plugging out and back in. Turning of and on. Opening the machine and reconnecting all the cables in the circuit board.

Hope someone can help me out. I love this machine :cry:

Kind regards
Bjorge

WWWired

#2: Post by WWWired »

Do you have a video of your start up ? :-)

aniblett1915

#3: Post by aniblett1915 »

I have a similar issue. Started happening after a power surge a few months ago. Just now finding time to trouble shoot.

Checked my fuse under the right panel. Looks good. Not sure where next to start.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/065wmpa ... gvHZXEzvSA

WWWired

#4: Post by WWWired »

UNPLUG BEFORE REACHING INSIDE

A few likely suspects but process of elimination . . . one step at a time.

(1) (a) Possibly attempt to enter Programming Mode (as a simple diagnostic test);
(b) Check your Float (6.6.1) and Magnetic Float Sensor (6.6.2), shown on page 6.15, 6.16 below;
(c) Check your Tank detecting Microswitch (illustration 6.6.3), shown on page 6.16 below.

If the Magnetic Sensor or Tank Detection Microswitch return a failed state, the brain box will not pass current for a startup. There are other paths that could cause a failed power-up, but these are the first to check.

To do 1(a), press and hold (just several seconds needed) the Continuous coffee dispensing button if possible until the lights begin to flash one second on and off . . .

For 1(b) here's the Musica Trouble Shoot for Water Tank System Float/Magnetic Sensor and Tank Microswitch (Illustration 8.1);

And here's the associated the Float (illustration 6.6.1) that couples with the Magnetic Sensor (illustration 6.6.2):

And finally for 1(c) check your Tank detecting Microswitch (illustration 6.6.3):

And here's a great video from a great YouTube creator, Cecil Colvin, about microswitches (like the one that detects the presence of the Musica Water Reservoir Tank). Warning: Always unplug machine when testing circuits. In the video the Musica Microswitch's "resting state" is without the water tank inserted; the "non-resting state is with the water tank inserted):

Below is an Electrical Schematic with annotations for Magnetic Level Sensor and Boiler Water Level Probe (illustration 9.3, Page 9.3) . . .
NOTES:
1. 3a, the Boiler Water Level Probe - has continuity with 3c through Boiler Level Probe and Ground when Boiler level condition passes
2. 3b, the Water Tank Level Sensor - has continuity with 3c through the level switch when Magnetic Level Sensor condition passes
3. 3c, Ground for Water Tank Sensor, Boiler Level Probe, and all Electrovalves.
If 1 and 2 do not pass, the brain box will be more defensive than Gandalf guarding a bridge.

A few other quick checks/notes:

Some indications are as well that it is possible to try to open the steam knob and press the Continuous coffee dispensing button rapidly several times, followed by a few clicks of the on-off switch, then try the machine power button again (although this method sounds more like witchcraft than anything lol).

After this, perhaps next step is to assess the two Thermal/Thermo Protection parts, then the Pressurestat maybe.

Perhaps first though, eliminate the above water tank possibilities (including the microswitch detecting the presence of the water tank) first before getting into the other systems (Therm/Pressure BrainBox etc.).

WWWired

#5: Post by WWWired »

. . . any updates on the above Musica lights flashing issue? (the second poster's video of their Musica's flashing lights was awesome, hope that video stays available) :) . . . the Oscars/Musica's are incredible pieces of technology and engineering :)

WWWired

#6: Post by WWWired »

All Credit to the Fellowship of the Ring, J.R.R. Tolkein, and New Line Cinema

WWWired

#7: Post by WWWired »

Credit to Jerry Seinfeld, Larry David, Netflix/Hulu

aniblett1915

#8: Post by aniblett1915 »

Thank you for the incredibly detailed post for troubleshooting help. Our baby was born early days my January post and just now got back this project. Forgive me for no earlier replies.

I've walked through each step and tested the parts. But I'm a novice with a multimeter. If the individual part has continuity I don't know what next to check.

The tank float- good
Tank present switch- good
Boiler level indicator- good

The circuit board and all connections have been closely inspected and there's no damage I can see.

Is there a way to bypass or jump terminals on the motherboard to help isolate/highlight the problem component?

Bjorge (original poster)

#9: Post by Bjorge (original poster) »

Hi all

Thanks so much for your efforts. I have simply replaced the entire motherboard and this fixed the problem.

I could not get the multimeter to read out components properly. All the individual electrical components also looked just fine. Likely, there was a short circuit somewhere in the motherboard, in a part of the circuit that only gets activated as soon as you turn it on.

I know this is a bit of a brute-force solution, and doesn't really single out the underlying issue, but at least it works?

WWWired

#10: Post by WWWired »

Yes, Bjorge is correct that as the possible fault components are narrowed, the Control Unit begins to come into focus.

Often a simple component costing just a few bucks (including shipping) can be ordered to replace a failed Control Unit component. It can be a Relay, a Capacitor, or other simple component but definitely once the basics are checked and confirmed to be functional a Control Unit component can be the issue as Bjorge correctly concluded :)

Any pictures of the components can assist greatly with those here in determining the source of the fault. Pictures of components such as the Control Unit including the board or boards, and videos of the machine in operation can be very revealing and assist in a quick solution :)