La Marzocco Linea Mini steam wand tip removal

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
beans+crumble

#1: Post by beans+crumble »

I've avoided posting this question for quite a while now because it's so completely stupid that's it's embarrassing... but I'm waiving my white flag and need some help.

For the life of me I can't get the steam wand tip off my Linea Mini! My previous two machine I could take it off rather easily... it's almost like LM used some sort of thread lock or I'm just crazy. For those who own a Linea Mini, which direction are you turning the tip to remove? Clockwise or counterclockwise? I know the old saying "right tight... left loose" but like I said (1) I'm dumb or (2) it's got lock tight. Thanks for the help!

bongani

#2: Post by bongani »

Left loose. Marzocco applies material that ensures that there are no leaks between the wand and the tip. That unfortunately, creates a super tight bond that requires added strength when disassembling.

beans+crumble (original poster)

#3: Post by beans+crumble (original poster) replying to bongani »

Thank you bongani for the reply! Ugh... ok I will try to give more elbow grease!

KDiggityDog76

#4: Post by KDiggityDog76 »

Were you ultimately successful in getting it off, Beans? I just tried to do this boneheadedly simple task tonight and hit a similar wall. Mine unscrews approximately 4 mm or so (several complete turns) and then it no longer wants to turn. I cannot figure out why it would stop so close to being removed. Perhaps I'm doing something to the o-ring such as pinching or twisting it? Thanks.

#5: Post by beans+crumble (original poster) replying to KDiggityDog76 »

No not yet.... Ashamed to admit. I went back after getting the previous response and tried with a bit more force but it still wasn't budging and I wasn't willing to really give it much more force. If you figure it out I'd love to hear your solution!

KDiggityDog76

#6: Post by KDiggityDog76 »

Turns out it was just getting hung up on the o-ring. There's really nothing for it, at least not that occurred to me, so I ratcheted up the elbow grease and it willingly came off in the end. I relubricated the o-ring before screwing the steam tip back into place and all's well again.

#7: Post by beans+crumble (original poster) »

Good to hear! Can you verify which direction you turned the tip for removal... clockwise or counter clockwise?

trumz

#8: Post by trumz »

It's a normal thread. Counter clockwise to unscrew.

mikel

#9: Post by mikel »

One thing you could try, is loosening it with one of those jar-opener rubber pads while the wand is hot?