La Marzocco Linea Mini Mods

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Holck

#1: Post by Holck »

I'm starting to mod a Linea Mini. I will try to update this thread with progress and guides.
(I make no guarantees that it will work on your machine, and you are fully responsible for your actions if you try to copy the mods)

Mod 1: Barista lights - "Always on/Reservoir refill warning", Blue light - "Pump active"
This reversible mod, will swap the function of the barista lights, and the bright blue water reservoir light. We are using two standard jumper cables, so no cutting or soldering is needed.

The parts that are used:
2x 2-pin extension cables. I used two 38cm extenders by Nuova Simonelli http://www.kaffemekka.dk/shop/2047-kabl ... eder-l380/

Guide:
1. Turn off the machine, and unplug it from mains.

2. Remove the cup tray

3. Unscrew the 6 screws that are holding the top plate. Note that there is one additional screw visible through a hole. Wait with unscrewing that, as it holds the cicar controller in place.

4. locate the black barista light splitter plug and unplug the connector. Its inside in the top black fabric cable hose, just left to the white plastic strip in the center, and right above the 3 way group solenoid valve.

5. Connect the Nuova Simonelli extenders to each of the barista light splitter plug ends. They will only fit the correct way round. You should now have a male and a female end extender.

6. Unscrew the Cicar controller, and lay it down flat with the electronics pointing up. Be careful with the thin green/white reservoir sensor cable going round the back, it's very fragile.

7. Locate the AUX connector on the middle right side of the Cicar controller board and unplug the black and red cable pair thats connected

8. Route the two extender cables to the cicar controller and plug one end into the AUX connector on the board and the other end to the black and red cable. They will only fit the correct way round.

9. Reassemble the machine.

The Linea Mini should now light up the barista lights as soon as you turn on the machine, and keep them on. If the Reservoir water level gets low, the barista lights will flash instead of the blue light.

When you slide the paddle to brew position the blue light will turn on, not the barista lights (they are already on).

Filletfellini
Supporter

#2: Post by Filletfellini »

Nice. What else do you have planned for it?

Kipp

#3: Post by Kipp »

Nice little mod, I like it!

ShelbiRyan

#4: Post by ShelbiRyan »

Now thats some good thinkin!

JonF

#5: Post by JonF »

Nice photos! Thanks!

For your next mod, might I suggest figuring out how to add a microswitch at about the 1/2 way point of the paddle travel to open a valve and allow line-pressure preinfusion for those that plumb the water source. :wink:

Holck (original poster)

#6: Post by Holck (original poster) »

JonF wrote:Nice photos! Thanks!
For your next mod, might I suggest figuring out how to add a microswitch at about the 1/2 way point of the paddle travel to open a valve and allow line-pressure preinfusion for those that plumb the water source. :wink:
Yep, that is indeed the next thing I want to add....I'm away for next few weeks, but I really would like to do a smart, reversible, restricted flow paddle mod.

Filletfellini
Supporter

#7: Post by Filletfellini replying to Holck »

Have you seen coffee machinist's work? He made a sweet preinfusion setup for the mini. Link here.

trumz

#8: Post by trumz »

edit for delete

weebit_nutty

#9: Post by weebit_nutty »

some simple "mods" i did:
-drip tray drain tube (to a bowl on the side of the machine
-hdpe tape on high wear areas
-hot water tap diffuser
-led covers
-paddle enhancements
-wattage meter
-shot guard (a small plastic trimming mat that fits perfectly behind the group. Prevents me from having to wipe and wear out the mirror polish.
-modded steam tips (1,2,3 & 4 hole)
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

kwantfm

#10: Post by kwantfm »

Filletfellini wrote:Have you seen coffee machinist's work? He made a sweet preinfusion setup for the mini. Link here.
I recently purchased a heavily modified Linea Mini from Rick Bond, the Coffee Machinist. The modifications were:
1. Shot timer - Rick embedded the shot timer into the top of the paddle housing... it's very neat and works very well;
2. Needle valve preinfusion - the paddle now has three positions: off, preinfusion and full pump. Preinfusion mode opens a needle valve controlled bypass which reduces flow through to the brew group. It's very fun to run the machine in preinfusion mode whilst twiddling the needle valve and watching the immediate response on the pressure gauge;
3. Changed gicleur from 0.7 mm to 0.6 mm;
4. Swapped the steam wand and hot water dispenser.

Over the past few years I've changed machines quite a bit. Starting with a Lelit Combi, moving to a good HX (ECM Technika Profi IV), thence to a good dual boiler E61 (Profitec Pro 700) and now to the Linea Mini.

The modified LMLM is pretty amazing. Shots are extremely viscous and clean when using preinfusion and also excellent when moving straight to full pressure with the appropriate grind. I started doing my shots at Slayer like times (20 seconds of preinfusion with first drips from the naked PF occurring a couple of seconds prior to full pump which I would hold for a further 25 seconds). I've now moved to preinfusion at a slightly higher flow rate for 12 seconds and then a further 24 seconds at full pump pressure, I just found the shots a little cleaner and sweeter. This all at brew ratios around 1 (I'm a ristretto loving dinosaur). Shots from the LMLM are the best I've ever pulled.

The steam pressure from a 2 bar steam boiler is out of this world, and to me is the largest absolute difference between a prosumer E61 and the LM. Milk texture is pretty fabulous and the standard LM steam tip is great. I bought a Foam Knife for the LM prior to delivery of the machine and actually prefer the stock tip.

LMWDP #602