La Marzocco Linea Mini Mods - Page 2

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
weebit_nutty

#11: Post by weebit_nutty »

kwantfm wrote:I actually bought a Foam Knife for the LM prior to delivery of the machine and actually prefer the stock tip.

<image>
Same here. I sold my Foam Knife and prefer the 4-hole stock tip. I tried the atrocious LW variable tip which I promptly returned. I have three other stock steam tips with 1, 2 and 3 holes plugged and are fool proof, but the four hole steam tip still rules the roost for all out power. The right way to use it with smaller quantities is simply to reduce the power. If you're not careful, at full power the Mini will blast the milk right out of your smaller 10, 12oz pitchers! :lol:
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

Holck

#12: Post by Holck »

Filletfellini wrote:Have you seen coffee machinist's work? He made a sweet preinfusion setup for the mini. Link here.
Yes, I was actually considered buying a modded machine from him, but the freight from Australia was prohibitive in my eyes.

The good thing about his flow mod is that it works equally well from the resoir as plumbed in, it's basically just a rescricted "bypass back flow" across the rotary pumps out back to in.

I don't think I will add the LS pre infusion chamber, I prefer to keep it clean.

I would like to make as little plumbing as possible, as I suck at that, and I will try to make the mod without cutting or drilling. Being able to go back to stock is important. I have an idea I want to test before going either:
1. ricks way across the pump
2. Slayer style by modding the group into a straight flow vs restricted flow using a solonoid valve/ needle valve at the point of the 3-way valve.
3. My idea, which might not work :-)

Basically the machine is great as it is. I have it plumbed in, and really appreciate it's insanely fast heating time, the stability and the great steaming power.

What I miss is the view of the pour, what a gs/3, slayer and any e61 offers. The LM is a more closed design, so visually I miss the view of the coffee filling the cup.
But as soon as its's done It really doesn't get any better.

thecatch83

#13: Post by thecatch83 »

Anyone hear about the indicator light upgrade/modification from LM? What about the white inserts on the water/steam knobs such as wood or refinishing them black or red?

z400central

#14: Post by z400central »

weebit_nutty wrote:Same here. I sold my Foam Knife and prefer the 4-hole stock tip. I tried the atrocious LW variable tip which I promptly returned. I have three other stock steam tips with 1, 2 and 3 holes plugged and are fool proof, but the four hole steam tip still rules the roost for all out power. The right way to use it with smaller quantities is simply to reduce the power. If you're not careful, at full power the Mini will blast the milk right out of your smaller 10, 12oz pitchers! :lol:
How did you plug the holes?

kwantfm

#15: Post by kwantfm »

I've posted a very rough video of an extraction on a Coffee Machinist modified Linea Mini using a bottomless portafilter on Instagram. The first 16 seconds or so in preinfusion mode.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQWP3iwF4R7/
LMWDP #602

bdnr

#16: Post by bdnr »

Is there a US based source for this 2-pin extension cable for the LED mod?

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by RockyIII » replying to bdnr »

I emailed back and forth a few times with Nuova Simonelli USA and was told to order extension cable part number 04000893. They are $12.00 each with a $25.00 minimum order. I ordered by telephone at 206-223-6150.

I was impressed with Nuova Simonelli USA's customer service. They were very helpful, courteous, and prompt with replies to my emails and telephone call.

Rocky

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by RockyIII »

Has anybody worked out a way to have the white barista lights go on and off with the machine power switch rather than exchanging their function with the blue water warning light?

Rocky

cycomachead

#19: Post by cycomachead » replying to RockyIII »

I'd be curious too! I'd imagine you could just split the wires going to the blue water light and connect it to both parts, but I haven't checked on exactly what that'd look like.

I do know that if you switch the paddle to the on position while the machine is off, the lights will stay on, and no water will be dispensed. This is handy for cleaning but doesn't really help with all situations where I'd like more light.