La Marzocco Linea Mini EMP Mod - Page 6

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
JettLag

#51: Post by JettLag »

mirekti wrote:In one of the GS3 MP videos on YouTube a guy complained it "waists" a lot of water when changing the pressure and he's annoyed to need to refill the tray very often.

What's your experience with Rick's mod? How many shots can you pull out of full tray?
Also, did you mod the gigleur to 0.6mm as well?
This is Rick's first pressure profiling mod that doesn't change the pump pressure, but instead bleeds off water to lower the pressure into the group. In other words, the pump stays a constant pressure, you control the pressure by bleeding off water into the tray. A lot of flow profiling machines do this.

The EMP mod is wholly different. It is a complete swap of the pump that makes it variable speed, which controls the pressure by adjusting the speed of the pump.

MESS

#52: Post by MESS »

JettLag wrote: The EMP mod is wholly different. It is a complete swap of the pump that makes it variable speed, which controls the pressure by adjusting the speed of the pump.

What water pump and motor does Rick use for his EMP mod?

Advertisement
dockoelboto (original poster)

#53: Post by dockoelboto (original poster) »

The pump is a fluid-o-tech pump, off the shelf item. The motor is a DC motor - I don't know the brand. It is also available commercially but I can't tell you the brand.

AzzaB

#54: Post by AzzaB »

Howdy - I have this mod, and cannot recommend it enough. The shots you get are fantastic and It's sooooo quiet, it's amazing. You'll have to re-learn how to pull a shot with pre-infusion, but it's well worth it. Yes, it does void the warranty. I purchased my LM in 2018 with a view to modify to the needle mod, as I couldn't afford a Slayer. When it was mod time, voila new mod type (EMP). Couldn't be happier. No longer have FOMO on a Slayer, R9 or any other machine (well apart from just the look of a Kees Vander Westen Speedster!). I waited until my warranty expired before upgrading...but if I had my time over, I'd just void the warranty on the machine and upgrade. It's that good. Rick did the upgrade for me (it's #004), but looking through the process if you're handy and patient, you can do it from the instructions. It's also been updated with some Specht Design Bling so looks awesome. It's paired to a Compak F10 Conic OD, which has a bit of retention (~2gm) and ~3sec grind time. I have a few espressos to brighten my day, so I load up 3-4 shots in the morning and it's great. 98mm Flat Burr Grinder would be the only future upgrade on my path to espresso heaven.

AzzaB

#55: Post by AzzaB »

Flair 58 looks awesome. Be great to have it as a backup or just to have while travelling. Now to find one with an AU Plug!

gocanes

#56: Post by gocanes »

MESS wrote:What water pump and motor does Rick use for his EMP mod?
Great thread. After 5 years of running my lmlm stock, I'm ready to change things up a bit. I emailed Rick to purchase this mod. He recently changed out the pump to a procon model.

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h ... MyMTA2M2Y=

dockoelboto (original poster)

#57: Post by dockoelboto (original poster) »

You are going to be blown away by the mod. It completely transforms the LMLM. Enjoy the process.
gocanes wrote:Great thread. After 4 years of running my lmlm stock, I'm ready to change things up a bit. I emailed Rick to purchase this mod. He recently changed out the pump to a procon model.

https://www.instagram.com/s/aGlnaGxpZ2h ... MyMTA2M2Y=

Advertisement
blondica73
Supporter ❤

#58: Post by blondica73 »

I was looking at upgrading to a manual paddle machine, but could not justify buying a new machine and I really like my LMLM. So,I'll take the plunge too. I just emailed Rick.

geomoser

#59: Post by geomoser »

I finally ordered Rick's kit about a week ago,so obviously haven't installed it yet. I purchased my LMLM used about a year ago, with the intention of doing a needle valve or EMP mod. I wonder now that the Micra is out, and more Minis might see the used market, if the popularity of similar modifications will take off.

In either event, it looks like the EMP-mod population is growing!

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#60: Post by rhtrevino »

I'd love to see this mod for the Micra too